This is predominately a specialist advisory role providing authoritative advice to the Customer relating to all aspects of airframe structural airworthiness. It involves working closely with MOD Project Teams (PTs) and the appropriate specialists from the platform Design Organisations (DOs) to ensure that the airframe is compliant with all airworthiness requirements to a degree necessary to assure safety of flight. This activity includes identifying solutions to deficiencies or problems by analytical and/or practical means which may or may not involve teamed working with the DOs or other agencies. A key facet of the role is the provision of technical governance, through supervision and the provision of technical assurance. This is anticipated to constitute approximately 50% of the role.
- To provide a demonstrably cost-effective service to the Customer that combines a proactive assessment of risk with an understanding of the operational and cost limitations pertinent to the management of flight safety.
- To maintain effective working relationships with the Customer and other agencies (e.g. DOs) to enable appropriate influence over and participation in the activities necessary to assure structural airworthiness.
- To maintain currency in the various evolving technical methodologies and philosophies that affect structural airworthiness for projects at all stages of their life cycles by participation in appropriate training and personal development activities.
- To ensure independence of advice by recognising and removing conflicts of interest by effective use of fire-walls.
- To guide and moderate the output of others within QinetiQ whose work might impinge upon SI of the platform type.
- To provide technical governance at all stages in the project life-cycle (from bidding through to final delivery), through supervision and the provision of technical assurance.
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities required
- Degree or higher degree in a related discipline, e.g. Aeronautical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials or similar.
- Substantial experience in relevant aerospace structures or equivalent, e.g. design, loads, fatigue or stress.
- Chartered Engineer status or equivalent experience.
- Thorough understanding of the requirements and policies that apply to each task, including relevant legislation.
- Good influencing, written and verbal presentation skills with the ability to sustain a rational argument and present recommendations to a wide range of people.
- The ability to think creatively and exercise sound judgement based on analysis of all available information.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Applications (e.g. Excel, Access) and other industry standard packages (e.g. nCode, Mathcad, AFGROW, etc).
- Technical leadership and mentoring of staff.
- Commercial awareness of supplier / customer / QinetiQ relationships.
- Legal awareness within the Airworthiness domain and in particular the provision of advice appertaining to Airworthiness and the management of Safety
- Flexibility in working hours and willingness to travel regularly within the UK and overseas at short notice.
- Well-developed sense of political awareness when dealing with customers and an ability to manage customer expectations and use discretion when handling confidential information.
- Able to work individually and as part of a team.
- The job holder may be required to support and lead technical delivery teams as part of their regular tasks, the ability to delegate and manage tasks would be advantageous.
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
Deliver independent structural integrity and airworthiness advice to the UK Ministry of Defence (MOD) and commercial customers to enable safe operation and cost-effective support of their aircraft within the relevant legislation and regulations.
Ensure accuracy, quality and consistency of advice provided to the MOD across the range of types within the Rotary and Fixed wing platforms operated by the UK Armed Forces through example and application of Best Practice and Governance to the technical output of others across the Structures Capability Group.
Assist in the development of solutions for other QinetiQ customers in providing an internal platform type consultancy, or ‘initial point of contact’ service.
Be sure to mention that you found them on Careers In Space!