Mapping satellites and space debris in low Earth orbit
LeoLabs is the world’s leading commercial provider of low Earth orbit (LEO) mapping and Space Domain Awareness (SDA) services. LeoLabs was founded in 2016 as a venture-funded spinout of Silicon Valley research pioneer, SRI International, by scientists and space industry veterans committed to securing Low Earth Orbit (LEO). LeoLabs is built on 30+ years of R&D in radar systems and satellite tracking algorithms.
The team is rapidly expanding its global radar network and data services platform to help satellite operators deploy their services safely and to empower governmental space agencies with detailed visibility into the LEO ecosystem. As commercial space ventures and newly-formed space agencies from every corner of the globe compete for their place in the second space race, LeoLabs is here to address a new generation of risks and opportunities to preserve LEO for future generations.
In this role, the Lead SRE is expected to build, manage, and scale Leolabs cloud infrastructure. The Lead SRE will develop, deploy, and manage systems to monitor the platform for reliability, availability, and performance. You will provide material support to other teams in their use of the infrastructure, build and deploy pipelines, and ongoing development activities. The Lead SRE will automate mundane tasks to allow the developers to focus on feature development. In this role you will provide instrumental input and feedback to the architecture of Leolabs services, use Infrastructure as Code (IaC) tools, to manage, build, and dismantle infrastructure as needed, and respond to production alarms, conduct root cause analysis, and plan and execute defensive remedies. The Lead SRE will collaborate with other teams when needed, to achieve optimum solutions to intricate problems involving cloud infrastructure, radar systems, and/or onsite hardware. You will maintain a vigilant attitude toward security, always striving to strengthen Leolabs security posture. In this role we expect genuine empathy for the customers and the development teams.
- 7-10 years working in a cloud infrastructure environment as an SRE, DevOps, or Software Engineer, preferably AWS, but GCP and Azure are also welcome
• BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or other technical fields with appropriate experience and aptitude
• Strong Linux systems skills, detailed working knowledge of Linux command line tools, Linux networking, Security, and scripting
• Experience with networking principles and operation, network and cloud security
• Solid experience with Microservices Architecture, Containerization, and REST API’s
• Familiar with Databases, Big Data, storage and data scaling paradigms
• Familiar with modern internet applications and SaaS technologies
• Experience debugging production problems and working with QA teams and developers to navigate complex technology stacks
• Experience working with version control systems, CI/CD pipelines, code coverage tools, etc
- Terraform , AWS , Docker, Kubernetes, SSL/SSH/openSSL
- Within the first few months you will have the opportunity to learn exciting new space related technologies and how they relate to LeoLabs infrastructure and development environments. You are expected to quickly ramp up on LeoLabs specific engineering stack and own some major projects within the first few months.
Within 1 month, you’ll:
- Complete our onboarding program designed to get you up to speed on our business, vision and team
- Gain an understanding about how your role fits into LeoLabs broader organization
- Ramp up on LeoLabs engineering stack
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Work on our AWS infrastructure stack to enhance various capabilities
- Get familiar with our terraform modules and stack
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Work closely with the application development team to establish and extend best devops practices
- Work to automate and scale various operational tasks, enhance LeoLabs security posture
Within 12 months, you’ll:
- Independently own parts of the platform from an SRE perspective
- Help define a roadmap to scale platform operations
- Work to interconnect radar systems and streamline worldwide platform operations