Mapping satellites and space debris in low Earth orbit
LeoLabs is the world’s leading commercial provider of low Earth orbit (LEO) mapping and Space Domain Awareness (SDA) services. LeoLabs was founded in 2016 as a venture-funded spinout of Silicon Valley research pioneer, SRI International, by scientists and space industry veterans committed to securing Low Earth Orbit (LEO). LeoLabs is built on 30+ years of R&D in radar systems and satellite tracking algorithms.
The team is rapidly expanding its global radar network and data services platform to help satellite operators deploy their services safely and to empower governmental space agencies with detailed visibility into the LEO ecosystem. As commercial space ventures and newly-formed space agencies from every corner of the globe compete for their place in the second space race, LeoLabs is here to address a new generation of risks and opportunities to preserve LEO for future generations.
In collaboration with the rest of the SRE team, you are expected to build, manage, and scale LeoLabs cloud infrastructure. In this role you will develop, deploy, and manage systems to monitor the platform for reliability, availability and performance, and provide material support to other teams in their use of the infrastructure, build and deploy pipelines, and ongoing development activities. You will also automate mundane tasks to allow the developers to focus on feature development. The SRE will use Infrastructure as Code (IaC) tools, to manage, build, and dismantle infrastructure as needed. Respond to production alarms, participate in root cause analysis, and plan for defensive remedies, and maintain a vigilant attitude toward security, always striving to strengthen LeoLabs security posture.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering or other technical fields
- An IT professional with good coding skills and aptitude for building an SRE career will also be considered
- 1-2 years professional experience in software development, QA, systems engineering, or network engineering
- Good working knowledge of Linux, cloud environments, command line tools or scripting is a big plus
- Exposure to databases, big data, version control systems will be helpful
- Familiarity with modern internet applications and/or some SaaS technologies is also desired
- Terraform , AWS , Docker, Kubernetes, SSL/SSH/openSSL, github
- Within the first few months you will have the opportunity to learn exciting new technologies and apply those to the LeoLabs infrastructure and development environments. You are expected to quickly ramp up on LeoLabs engineering stack and own a major project within the first few months.
Within 1 month, you’ll:
- Complete our onboarding program designed to get you up to speed on our business, vision and team
- Gain an understanding about how your role fits into LeoLabs broader organization
- Ramp up on LeoLabs engineering stack
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Work on our AWS infrastructure stack to enhance various capabilities
- Get familiar with our terraform modules and stack
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Work closely with the application development team to establish and extend best devops practices
- Work to automate and scale various operational tasks, enhance LeoLabs security posture
Within 12 months, you’ll:
- Independently own parts of the platform from an SRE perspective
- Help define a roadmap to scale platform operations
- Work to interconnect radar systems and streamline worldwide platform operations