Mapping satellites and space debris in low Earth orbit
LeoLabs is the world’s leading commercial provider of low Earth orbit (LEO) mapping and Space Domain Awareness (SDA) services. LeoLabs was founded in 2016 as a venture-funded spinout of Silicon Valley research pioneer, SRI International, by scientists and space industry veterans committed to securing Low Earth Orbit (LEO). LeoLabs is built on 30+ years of R&D in radar systems and satellite tracking algorithms.
The team is rapidly expanding its global radar network and data services platform to help satellite operators deploy their services safely and to empower governmental space agencies with detailed visibility into the LEO ecosystem. As commercial space ventures and newly-formed space agencies from every corner of the globe compete for their place in the second space race, LeoLabs is here to address a new generation of risks and opportunities to preserve LEO for future generations.
LeoLabs is seeking students interested in an astrodynamics internship. The LeoLabs data platform consists of detailed orbital information on over 10,000 objects, giving research interns unique access to an incredible volume of data that spans Low Earth Orbit. In this role, you will work closely with LeoLabs astrodynamicists on analyses that will help guide the development of LeoLabs’ orbit determination algorithms. The ideal candidate will be excited about space, and eager to play a role in its continued responsible custodianship.
- Collaborate with LeoLabs astrodynamics team members
- Help design meaningful queries of the LeoLabs dataset, using LeoLabs’ web API
- Write analysis software and make plots, using Python tools and git
- Present analyses via slides or documents
- Enrollment in a Bachelor’s program in a STEM field
- Python programming experience
- Available to work full time for 12 consecutive weeks start May/June 2022
- Significant physics coursework
- Matplotlib/numpy experience
- Familiarity with machine learning techniques
- Linear algebra
- Passion for spaceflight