LeoLabs is the world’s leading commercial provider of low Earth orbit (LEO) mapping and Space Domain Awareness (SDA) services.
LeoLabs is the world’s leading commercial provider of low Earth orbit (LEO) mapping and Space Domain Awareness (SDA) services. LeoLabs was founded in 2016 as a venture-funded spinout of Silicon Valley research pioneer, SRI International, by scientists and space industry veterans committed to securing Low Earth Orbit (LEO). LeoLabs is built on 30+ years of R&D in radar systems and satellite tracking algorithms. The team is rapidly expanding its global radar network and data services platform to help satellite operators deploy their services safely and to empower governmental space agencies with detailed visibility into the LEO ecosystem. As commercial space ventures and newly-formed space agencies from every corner of the globe compete for their place in the second space race, LeoLabs is here to address a new generation of risks and opportunities to preserve LEO for future generations.
As the Senior Product Manager, Data Platform, you’ll harness the world’s largest store of space domain data for use across organizations of many kinds. You will be the driving force for the vision, strategy, roadmap, and delivery for the data LeoLabs collects over time. You’ll leverage your knowledge of data technology to define the right products and features for company, partner and customer use. Your products will be core to LeoLabs greater vision of accelerating the space economy by addressing its two largest threats – conflict and collision.
Your use cases will include internal and external applications. Internally, you’ll set the data strategy that enables instrumentation and metrics used by multiple teams. Externally, your dataset will support mission planning, policy definition, defense analytics, and many more to be invented.
This product management role offers a variety of career growth paths, based on your interests and aptitude. Over time, your work could have a profound impact on the new space economy. It is a highly visible, leadership role right at the start. With experience in the role and demonstrated core skills, you can expect increasing autonomy first, and then greater influence on the company’s overall strategic direction in data and analytics. As the company grows, you can grow with it, becoming responsible for a widening portfolio of products.
- 5+ years of experience working with data products in a product management or related leadership role
- A passion for space, astrodynamics, and space domain awareness.
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Ability to prioritize ruthlessly
- Whole product point of view – look holistically at the user experience, business model, features and API
- Demonstrated success with product delivery on cross-functional teams, including daily problem solving with engineering
- Great listener, can pinpoint customer or sales needs, hear new opportunities, and get to the core need even if it’s not always clearly described
- Articulate and comfortable working with customers
- Can write actionable requirements for engineers and easy to read documentation for users
- Ability to lead without direct supervisory role
- Bachelors, Masters or PhD in Data Science, Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, or another relevant field
- Deep knowledge of data science and big data technology including data lakes, data warehouses, data analytics, and data visualization
- Space domain awareness experience
- Familiarity with radar data applications and information
- Business strategy experience
Within 1 month, you’ll:
- Get to know LeoLabs people – have one on ones with all your peers, stakeholders, managers and executives
- Understand your data set – read and discuss company vision, data vision to date, data products. Use every aspect of the LeoLabs product user interface and read all its internal and external documentation. If you can, write some apps using the API. Understand where its technical debt lies. Understand underlying data design, from radars to algorithms to UI. Get a high level understanding of competition. Get a high level understanding of industry trends
- Understand your internal customers by talking to all of them
- Understand your external customers second hand – Work with sales to get our customer list and learn their goals and pain points
- Understand your role and our processes – if needed, take a course appropriate for data product management. Understand processes such as the steps we follow to manage our roadmap, release software, communicate product information to our field, hear and respond to issues and escalations, hear and respond to feature and product requests, learn from customers, and gain executive support for new initiatives
Within 3 months, you’ll:
- Have identified the organization’s data technology needs, success criteria, and short-term strategy by collaborating with multiple stakeholder teams
- Have supported engineering in delivering an early set of data products
- Deliver documentation, field and customer training as appropriate for the new products
- Meet directly with customers in context of product or feature definition
- Take over the product roadmap for the Data Platform, with frequent management checkpoints
- Take over product management of the next major product for the Data Platform with frequent management checkpoints
Within 6 months, you’ll:
- Have a point of view on the long-term data platform strategy
- Have taken over the roadmap for the data platform and have a steady cadence of roadmap updates involving all stakeholders
- Have mastered feature delivery and communication processes
- Become a company expert on competition and industry trends in Space Domain Awareness data
- Become a trusted team member for messaging and positioning efforts
Within 12 months, you’ll:
- Be able to define and deliver whole new data platform products, leading all stakeholders and working with customers and advisors
- Have a clear point of view on the business strategy and product roadmap for the data platform and be the leader within LeoLabs for defining this product line, yet always involving stakeholders and executives
- Have a predictable cadence in hearing and accommodating a steady stream of customer requests, issues, and opportunities, meeting the important needs yet applying ruthless prioritization
- Be an articulate spokesperson in presenting the data roadmap to customers, helping them understand how they can benefit from our product line, and incorporating their feedback
- Be the credible leader for engineering as the voice of the customer and product architect at the business level
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. More information regarding ITAR can be found at DDTC’s website here.