A key player in Aerospace, Defence and Security
A new opportunity has arisen for a Data Engineer All Levels (Antenna) to join the Test, Analysis and Production Support team in the Antenna group at the Edinburgh site of Leonardo. Leonardo is a world-class defence technology company. We develop and manufacture cutting edge Radars for the Eurofighter Typhoon and SAAB Gripen fighter jets, as well as Maritime and Airborne surveillance systems. We are also investors in innovation, undertaking all our own research to fuel our future products.
Note, in order to apply for this opportunity you must be eligible for SC UK Security Clearance. Applicants holding dual nationality (where one of the nationalities is British) may be considered.
You will be joining the Antenna Group, a team of about 20 like-minded engineers that is the Leonardo hub for technical experts within the fields of antenna design and testing. As part of the Test, Analysis and Production Support team within the Antenna Group, you will provide antenna testing and calibration solutions for the project teams.
Typical daily work consist of activities such as:
- Measurement data analysis
- Developing failure detection methods
- Beamforming calibration
- Automation of production code
- App design
- Antenna performance analysis
- All of our activities are carried out using MATLAB, so strong programming knowledge is essential for this role.
What we can offer you
- Annual leave of 25 days plus bank holidays
- Free parking
- Award-winning pension scheme, including an attractive employer contribution
- Flexible working and additional flex-leave schemes to give you the time and flexibility you need to enjoy a balanced life
- Salary sacrifice schemes
- Access to thousands of online courses free of charge via Coursera
- Onsite Occupational Health Service to look after your physical and mental wellbeing, and keep you safe at work
- Restaurant facilities, including a coffee shop
- Employee discount schemes for you and your family, including retail, cinema, hotel book
- Family Friendly Policies
- Learning & Development – we will assess your development needs in line with the role you wish to perform, to allow you to further develop
- Career breaks – where appropriate, we support you to pursue other interests outside the workplace
- Positive support for the Reserve Forces, including additional time off for Reservists
What you will do
- For production units, you will be responsible for maintaining current production code and supporting projects to progress units for delivery. You will automate production code and implement methods to increase efficiency. Calibration, component failure detection and automated reporting are typical tasks required in the production process.
- For development units and projects, you will be responsible for implementing novel calibration and failure detection methods as well as in-depth analysis of measured data to evaluate antenna designs.
- You will be essential to the design of test procedures and test campaigns for production and development antennas.
- You will be responsible for ensuring that all documents, scripts and data under the responsibility of the team is captured using suitable version control tools.
- You will carry out effective monitoring, control and reporting of measurement and calibration activities in accordance with project and company procedures, including all necessary reporting of technical and timescale progress and achievements against agreed project milestones and deliverables.
- The role will require the ability to quickly assimilate complicated topics and with strong communication skills, to convey complex subjects to peers and junior team members.
- You will be comfortable presenting your results either through written reports or oral presentations.
- The role may require travel to other locations within the UK and possibly overseas for periodic engineering and program meetings.
What we are looking for
- You will have a degree in a mathematical, engineering or suitable science-based subject.
- Strong scientific programming experience is essential. MATLAB is the preferred language but knowledge of other languages (such as Python, R, C++, etc.) will be considered if it suggests an easy adaptation to MATLAB.
You will ideally be qualified in several of the following areas:
- Theoretical or practical knowledge of antenna measurement techniques would be desirable.
- Measurement experience using standard equipment (VNA, Spectrum Analyser, etc.) will be advantageous.
- Experience with version control tools such as Git or SVN is desirable
- You will have a track record of building good working relationships with team members and external departments, suppliers and customers, acting as a work package leader if required.
- A Master’s degree or PhD would be advantageous.