A key player in Aerospace, Defence and Security
Leonardo has a fantastic opportunity for a Solution Lead on a permanent basis working at our modern and purpose-built Luton (Capability Green) site. The Solution Lead will manage and generate the high level technical and enterprise architectures. The Solution Lead will drive overall system architecture development in a complex technical arena, so will need to be a talented and highly experienced across a wide range of project roles and be familiar with working on large and complex systems within the defence industry.
The role will require strong technical and stakeholder management abilities with which to identify and manage a broad range of stakeholder needs that will inform system requirements, architectures, and design, to ensure the delivery of fully compliant solutions to our customer.
The role’s focus will be:
- Drive overall architecture development of mission systems solutions on large, complex Air Platform programmes.
- Guide the delivery of all functional and non-functional product features in a coordinated way across product portfolios.
- Contribute to a clear Architectural Vision in the roadmaps for development of products in the short, medium and long term.
- Support bidding activities across the area with architectural expertise
What you will get
- Prestige: You can be at the forefront of the provision of a truly significant UK defence programme.
- Influence: You can apply your individual knowledge and experience to develop the next-generation of sensor and communication systems for a future combat aircraft.
- Teamwork: You’ll work alongside like-minded professional engineers in a highly collaborative environment, who share a passion for innovation, excellence and customer satisfaction.
- Continuous Learning: You’ll be supported in your ongoing professional development though mentoring and an extensive training portfolio.
- Connections: You’ll join an expansive team of around 7,000 people at six major sites across the UK.
- Heritage: We’re proud of our rich heritage in airborne electronic systems, with over 100 years of pioneering development. We continue to provide our customers with the latest advances in detection, surveillance, countermeasure, and communication technology.
What you will do
- Utilise operational analysis modelling results to develop the architecture and requirements set.
- Lead systems functional analysis and refine architectures of complex multi-sensor and controller systems.
- Developing high level system requirements using inputs from internal stakeholders, partners, collaborators, define the system requirements, architecture, and design,
- Capable of partitioning large systems into subsystems and components each of which can be handled by teams of engineers of an appropriate size, liaising with sensor and communication technical specialist teams.
- Able to solve complex, multi-disciplined problems in a collaborative manner. Guide the delivery of all functional and non-functional product features in a coordinated way across product portfolios.
- Coordinate system design compliance against user and system requirements, alongside key performance parameters.
- Identify performance improvements and propose candidate solutions and implementation methods.
- Develop reports and presentations for delivery to customers & industry partners.
- Travel within the UK to meet with our customers and industry partners.
What we are looking for
- Strong influencing skills that can be applied at all levels.
- Strong communication in verbal, written and presentational forms to all levels.
- Able to interface with the engineers and architects, so that any problems arising can be resolved
- Able to work with System Design Authority and Chief Engineers to ensure integrity.
- Logical problem solver, operating effectively under challenging project constraints and timescales.
- Able to use initiative to improve team processes and performance.
- Self-motivated to deliver within a diverse team.
- Degree, Masters or equivalent in an engineering or scientific discipline.
- Proven expertise and management experience on a range of defence programmes, or from other closely related sectors.
- Experience of leading and motivating engineers with diverse skill sets.
- Exercise latitude in determining systems architecture approach.
- Short and medium term discretion on tasks allocated to the engineering team relative to long-term perspective.
- Confident and competent in a “customer facing” role, representing the organisation.
- Experience of coordinating with senior external personnel on significant engineering matters between partner and supplier organisations.