A key player in Aerospace, Defence and Security
Leonardo has a fantastic opportunity for a Systems Engineering Solution Lead who will apply their technical expertise and experience in support of a growing Systems Engineering Function.
The successful candidate will lead the Systems Engineering activity on a programme designing SW products that are critical to the successful operation of our airborne RF sensing and countermeasure products. The team are entering an exciting time in their programme, as they transition to the design and development of a new SW architecture which will encompass leading technological concepts to ensure we maintain our competitive edge years into the future.
The Systems Engineering Solution Lead will also act as the focus for delivering the Systems Engineering contribution to bid activity across multiple product streams, capitalising on their role across the different programmes to identify opportunities for re-use and highlight, and propose mitigation for, programme risks.
The successful candidate will be committed to supporting the career development within the systems engineering function at an individual and department level.
What you will get:
- Advanced Technology: You will have the ability to contribute to the development of market-leading technology and product development, providing advanced capability and protection to UK platforms.
- EW Expertise: Leonardo has subject-matter experts with extensive and detailed knowledge of the EW domain, technology, performance, and operational capabilities – the learning potential is limitless!
- Continuous Learning: Whether it’s EW, engineering lifecycle processes, leadership, or personal development, you’ll be supported in your ongoing professional development though training and mentoring.
- Teamwork: You will work alongside like-minded professional engineers in a highly collaborative environment.
- Connections: You will be joining an expansive team of around 7,000 people at six major sites across the UK.
- EW Heritage: We are proud of our rich heritage in Electronic Warfare (EW), with 100 years of pioneering EW development. Today we’re providing the latest advances in RF technology and enabling our customers to keep pace with an evolving EW environment.
Key Responsibility Areas
The successful candidate to play a leading role contributing to a systems solution within the IMS business area and will:
- Work alongside internal and external stakeholders to understand user needs and requirements with which to define and influence system requirements and designs, ensuring suitable routes to compliance, certification, and acceptance.
- Assess system design maturity and compliance against system requirements across the engineering lifecycle, leading design review activities with independent technical authorities.
- Lead verification and validation activities to fully test system performance, usability, and effectiveness.
- Develop and deliver engineering specifications, reports and presentations for delivery to customers and industry partners.
Across a broader product range the successful candidate will:
- Maintain oversight of all bid proposals, either creating compliance documentation and costed plans personally, or mentoring others to achieve the same high standard of output. The Solution Lead will hold delegated responsibility for functional cost sign off prior to the Engineering Bid Review (EBR).
- Have responsibility for ensuring design maturity reviews are adequately supported by the function.
- Acting as, or selecting, an appropriate design review assessors and ensuring that the required design maturity metrics are collated and presented at each review as required by the Function management team and Design Integrity.
- Produce or review SOW documentation in order for the business to successfully engage our partners in the supply chain, and take an active role in managing supplier performance throughout the contract.
- Act as a local coach and mentor to all the Systems Engineers within their sphere of influence, although this role will not have direct line management responsibility.
Across the wider business the candidate will be expected to play a significant role in business improvement initiatives relevant to own specialism and domain expertise.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
You really must have:
- A strong understanding of systems engineering principles and experience across the whole engineering lifecycle.
- In depth experience in the design and development of SW architectures from a Systems Engineering perspective.
- An ability to tailor business processes effectively and ensure that all stakeholder interactions, both internally and externally, are managed.
- Significant experience of monitoring product maturity as part of lifecycle management processes such as maturity/design reviews, including acting as an independent assessor.
- Demonstrable experience of leading bid activities, assessing compliance against customer requirements and able to articulate a costed plan for the required Systems Engineering activities.
- You will have taken responsibility for remaining up to date with relevant technologies and methodologies as part of your ongoing personal development and shown a willingness to coach and mentor others.
It would be beneficial if you had domain experience within the Aerospace and Defence Sectors and/or a background across multiple lifecycle approaches (including Agile).