The fastest path to space
Loft Orbital builds “shareable” satellites, providing a fast & simple path to orbit for organizations that require access to space. Powered by our hardware & software products, we operate satellites, fly customer payloads onboard, and handle entire missions from end to end – significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
Our standard interface enables us to fly multiple customer payloads on the same satellite, with capabilities such as earth imagery, weather & climate /science data collection, IoT connectivity, in-orbit demonstrations, and national security missions. Our customers trust us to manage their space infrastructure, so they can focus on what matters most to them: operating their mission and collecting their data.
With 2 satellites on-orbit and a wave of exciting missions launching soon, we are scaling up quickly across our offices in San Francisco, CA | Golden, CO | and Toulouse, France.
Wanna join the adventure?
- Loft Orbital’s mission is to make space simple for organizations that need to collect information about the Earth. We provide space infrastructure as a service where multiple customer payloads are flown on a single spacecraft platform through Loft’s in-house Payload Accommodation Module.
- We are looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer, based out of our Toulouse office, to help support Loft programs & products through the entire lifecycle – from initial concept through production.
- *Research shows that while men apply to jobs where they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized people tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Loft, we value respectful debate and people who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t ‘check all the boxes.
What You’ll Do:
- From concept through to production, design, develop and manage all Loft hardware throughout our program and product lifecycles
- Develop, maintain and alter CAD
- Create engineering, production and assembly drawings
- Support with trade studies
- Support the Assembly, Integration and Testing (AIT) team
- Work with suppliers, customers and sub-contractors as necessary
- Work with a multi-disciplinary team to ensure successful mission execution
There is a good chance you’ll love this job if you have:
- Proficiency with Solidworks or similar
- 4+ years’ experience as a Mechanical Design Engineer, preferably in the space industry
- Ability to apply engineering fundamentals (structural, thermal) to complex designs
- Working knowledge of GD&T principles and tolerance stack-up
- Worked with and managed complex CAD assemblies
- Familiarity with engineering release process and BOM generation
- Familiarity with enterprise CAD management tools and overarching PLM systems.
- Knowledge of mechanical component manufacturing and assembly
- Experience in a fast-paced development environment
- Scrappy and inventive skills: what you will be building has never been done before
- Willingness to be challenged and sometimes work out of your comfort zone
- Willingness to be accountable, autonomous, and take full ownership of projects
Bonus Points if You Are:
- Experienced with harness definition and routing (moderate to complex)
- Capable of basic structural and thermal hand-calcs/first order checks.
- Some of Our Awesome Benefits:
- Comprehensive dental, medical and vision insurance
- 401(k) plan and equity
- Daily catered lunches
- Cross office travel opportunities between San Francisco, Colorado, and Toulouse, France
- Generous maternity and paternity leave
- Off-sites and many happy hours
- Foreign language classes
At Loft, you’ll be given the autonomy and ownership to solve significant challenges, but with a close-knit and supportive team at your back. We believe that diversity and community are the foundation of an open culture. We are committed to hiring the best people regardless of background and make their time at Loft the most fulfilling period of their career.
We value kind, supportive and team-oriented collaborators. It is also crucial for us that you are a problem solver and a great communicator. As our team is international, you will need strong English skills to better collaborate, easily communicate complex ideas and convey important messages.
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace