WE HELP EARTH BENEFIT FROM SPACE. SSC is a leading global provider of advanced space services with more than fifty years of experience. Since our start pioneering scientific rocket launches in northern Sweden, we have grown into a renowned, full-service supplier of state-of-the-art space engineering, satellite and launch services to commercial and institutional customers worldwide.
SSC UK is looking for an experienced Senior Telecommunications Engineer.
SSC enables its customers to make better use of space. Through the efforts of our 550 employees around the world, we provide specialized competence in design, test, launch and operation of space and air systems.
SSC Space UK is a fully owned subsidiary of Swedish Space Corporation. It is based in Oxfordshire UK within the science park in Harwell.
The organisation is growing rapidly and has several exciting opportunities for people looking to extend their careers in the space industry. This is a role for a technical person aiming to gain operational experience in supporting and managing daily spacecraft activities of space programmes with complex requirements. The role covers a wide range of space technologies that include spacecraft subsystems engineering, good understanding of missions and platforms design, space applications and service and is complemented by an attractive salary and good benefits package.
The specific responsibilities include:
- Good understanding of mobile phone technologies and systems.
- Good understanding of beam forming and steerable array antenna systems.
- Understanding of 5G techniques, as applied to both space and ground segment.
- Coordination and management of technical activities in international programmes involving multiple organisations and multiple disciplines.
- Analysis, definition and management of industrial activities associated to new developments and new projects in the telecommunication satellite system domain.
- Assessment and analysis of the best concepts and technical solutions to meet a variety of mission and system requirements.
- Assessment of the potential and benefits at system level of new techniques/technologies.
- Perform trade-offs between different concepts/technologies to optimize the end-to-end system.
- Assessment of viability of proposed solutions within the limitations of a small-satellite platform.
- Preparation of technical and funding proposals in support of new technologies and systems.
- Design Authority and technical lead in the architectural definition of the end to end solutions including both space and ground segment.
- University Degree in Engineering or Technical Sciences
Essential Skills and experience:
- Several years of industrial experience in satellite or terrestrial telecommunications including end to end design and system trade-offs.
- Good understanding of Satcom and mobile phone technologies and services.
- Solid understanding of test procedures, equipment and tools background.
- Familiarity with operational environments.
- Ability to understand and accurately predict behaviour of complex systems.
- Fluent in English, both in speech and writing.
- System-minded and a team-player.
- Pro-active and confident personality with good persuasive skills.
- Self-starter, able to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Ability to differentiate requirements of low-cost and high-quality programmes
- Good interpersonal, organisation and communication skills, with the ability to work in a diverse and interdisciplinary team environment
- Good organisation and time management skills
- Eligibility for UK security clearance
- General knowledge and interest of spacecraft systems.
- Experience in working with space tailored COTS components and equipment
- Experience in working in a dynamic engineering environment with very tight schedules
- Ability to relate contractual commitments vs project needs with ultimate aim to successfully deliver the project needs within the contractual scope of work
A permanent employment contract. Competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package. Career path.
In line with Asylum & Immigration Legislation, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the EU. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process. Furthermore, in view of the nature of the work the company is in, all potential employees will undergo stringent reference and identity checks.
Are you looking for a challenging position in a very interesting, international environment? Then please apply online.