Excellence for Impact
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
You ‘d like to contribute as a researcher? Join our Materials Research and Technology department
Through its research into advanced materials and processes, the “Materials Research and Technology” (MRT) department, with its 200 researchers and engineers, contributes to the emergence of enabling technologies that underpin the innovation processes of local and international industry. MRT’s activities hinge on four thematic pillars: nanomaterials and nanotechnology, scientific instrumentation and process technology, structural composites, and functional polymers.
The department also includes four high-tech technology infrastructures, focusing on composites, prototyping, characterization and testing; serving both LIST research staff, and other stakeholders in Luxembourg.
How will you contribute?
LIST-MRT has been invested in state-of-the art micro-nanofabrication facilities since a decade with the first demonstration of the most advanced sensing and actuating technologies relying on specific and novel materials expertise. To further leverage those capabilities and to accelerate our contribution to the deployment of Autonomous Internet-of-Thing and the integration of smarter devices in multiple systems, we are looking for a Scientific and Technology Expert Fellow in Micro-ElectroMechanical System.
As a scientific expert fellow, you will directly report to the director of the Materials Research and Technology department with the following responsibilities:
Strategic RDI Excellence execution:
- Works on long-term and strategic MRT projects to further develop MEMS expertise and achievements in MRT.
- Makes critical and decisive analysis that can help principal investigators in making strategic decisions for their project.
- Monitors future challenges or external factors in your field that could impact MRT activities and/or priorities.
- Leads as an internationally recognized researcher a large projects portfolio in your field of excellence, by developing and executing a specific funding plan of those activities which shall critically contribute to tackle the research challenges of the MRT-Core Technologies
- Develops a strategic vision on the future of your RDI field and sets long term RDI roadmap aligned with the department needs.
- Makes critical analysis that can determine strategic decisions and helps to anticipates situations, changes or risks in your field of expertise (megatrends analysis in research, breakthrough identification and critical analysis of them)
- Publishes influential papers and books, serves on international conferences delivering keynote lectures making LIST broadly visible within the scientific and technology community
Development of RDI Excellence:
- Mentors researchers in their project execution and help managers into establishing their RDI roadmap
- Guides the definition of relevant proposals and support younger Principal Investigator in their project application.
- Supports the internal evaluation of MRT projects and provides relevant feedbacks helping strategic decisions
- Stimulates innovation and promotes the capitalization of knowledge across the department
- Builds networks that benefit the interaction of MRT with nat/int parties and makes smart use of them to strategically develop an international network of collaborations.
- Strategically analyse research outcomes to update the partnership development team with the most remarkable scientific and technology achievements
- Advise on the valorisation strategy by reinforcing the patent contents and their positioning vs. the state-of-the art and the existing market solutions
- Actively participates to the Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda of MRT by providing scientific analysis of RDI Unit roadmaps and their matching with the department’s ambitions.
MUST HAVE REQUIREMENTS
Is Your profile described below? Are you our future colleague? Apply now!
- You hold a PhD degree in Materials Science, Physics or Chemistry, combined to a pronounced taste for experiments, team work spirit and strong motivation for translating all the advances of materials research into useful and needed applications. You ideally show 15-25 years’ experience after your PhD. You have at least 3 years of successful experience as scientific or technology fellow of organizations driven by research and technology excellence (applied university, applied research centre, high-tech companies)
- You have an outstanding track-record in the field of MEMS, ideally in the field of integration of functional materials in MEMS and a deep recognition in MEMS technology demonstration.
- You have reached the R3-R4 researcher level, as defined by the European Commission. In particular, you can form research consortia and secure research funding / budgets / resources from research councils or industry and you have a proven experience in European projects management (from scientific excellence to technology demonstrators). In line with the expected contributions, you are a leading expert in MEMS and are recognized as such by peers.
- Have demonstrated prior leadership experience in R&D large projects/program management.
- Have the highest knowledge and mastery of multiple areas related to your field of excellence.
Show evidence of extraordinary research productivity (like publications, patents, project reports, technology transfer);
- Be a strong team player with the ability to work with a diverse range of colleagues in an international environment;
- Confirm a track record of conceiving, executing and successfully completing fundamental as well as application-oriented research projects, and developing industrial partnerships;
- Recognized Experience supervising graduate students and post-doctoral researchers;
- Excellent communicator and networker with strong records in written and oral communication skills e.g. in publications, patents, reports, presentations and/or proposals;
- Ability to effectively influence the efforts of multiple collaborators
- Be fluent in English both spoken and written.
NICE TO HAVE REQUIREMENTS
The following additional skills would be considered as strong assets:
- Knowledge of French, German and / or Luxembourgish.
- Successful funding in ERC / EIC / large EU projects
Your LIST benefits
- An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects;
- Multicultural and international work environment with more than 45 nationalities represented in our workforce;
- Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions;
- Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science;
- 32 days paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, flexible working hours, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance and access to lunch vouchers;
- Personalized learning programme to foster our staff’s soft and technical skills;
- An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas.