Lynk is the only new-space satellite company developing a communications system that is directly backward compatible with the existing 5.2 billion mobile phones on the planet.
The Spacecraft Systems Chief Engineer at Lynk will be a Director level role and act as the technical leader for the division of the company that is developing our spacecraft bus. This includes leading the rapid and iterative analysis, design, integration, test, and enhancement of the spacecraft bus associated with our nanosatellite communications satellites. This is a multi-disciplinary technical leadership role overseeing the design and testing of all spacecraft systems including Mechanical, Electrical, Communications, Flight Control, Command & Data Handling, and Flight Software. Working closely with the Mechanical, Electrical, RF, Software, and Systems teams at the company, you will ensure that the attitude control, thermal, power, and structural analyses performed are adequate to meet mission objectives. In addition to design, you will also be responsible for ensuring adequate integration and functional/performance/environment testing is performed on critical hardware systems such as spacecraft mechanical, structural, and electrical subsystems.
We build satellites fast! So, the perfect candidate for this role will have significant previous experience designing, building, and testing many small satellites and particularly on rapid timelines. Furthermore, the ideal candidate will also have had experience in technical leadership roles building, managing, and motivating teams of spacecraft engineers who build small satellites. If you enjoy the challenge of wearing many hats, excel working in a rapid technology development environment, and have a track record of creative thinking to solve unconventional problems, then we look forward to meeting you!
The Spacecraft Systems Chief Engineer will be responsible for leading technology efforts in multiple domains – Mechanical, Thermal, Electrical, Propulsion, and RF engineering.
- Supporting system concept development, system architecture development, system and subsystem requirements development, systems analysis and trade studies, and systems modeling and simulation
- Leading design and modeling of spacecraft bus hardware and flight control software
- Support spacecraft payload integration, testing, delivery to launch and spacecraft bus partners/vendors
- Interface with systems, software, and electrical/RF engineering teams
- Developing thermal and structural (e.g. vibration) analyses of the spacecraft and payload.
- Some software-based Systems Engineering analysis using MATLAB scripts, python scripts, etc.
- Development and maintenance technical documentation for payload design, development, integration, and testing.
- Initially, managing the company parts program.
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment.
- A Bachelor’s degree (or better) in Aerospace, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering or STEM-related field.
- Experience as the technical lead designing, developing, building, and testing many spacecraft –
particularly small satellites (e.g. nano/micro satellites) and in rapid work environments.
- At least 10 years of experience designing, integrating, and testing spacecraft subsystems including practical experience in one or more of the following: avionics/electronics, control systems, communications systems, power systems, mechanical systems, thermal analysis, or integration and testing of spacecraft systems
- Experience with space payload design and integration
- Working knowledge of spacecraft operations and related ground systems
- Proficient using various analysis engineering tools such as Solidworks, Altium, or MATLAB
- Programming proficiency in one or more programming languages (e.g. MATLAB, Python, Julia, etc.)
- Must be good with computers. Fluent in Windows or Mac OSX. Experience working with Linux operating systems is a big plus. Very capable with Microsoft Office (Excel, Project, PowerPoint, Word).
- Experience with manufacturing and fabrication methods/tools is a plus.
- Must be able to quickly develop subject matter expertise in a specific project.
- Demonstrated technical lead and/or project management experience