Made In Space Europe believes that industrialising space is the next critical step in humanity’s push to go deeper and farther into the cosmos than ever before. Made In Space Europe is developing robotic technologies to enable commercial activity in Earth orbit, on other planets, and beyond.
MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER
The mechanical design engineer is responsible for designing mechanisms and structures for a robotic arm system optimized for the space environment. You will be designing 3D mechanical models, optimizing mechanical design to achieve better performance and higher reliability, creating 2D manufacturing and technical assembly drawings, selecting and acquiring necessary components, deciding on material and lubrication solutions, cooperating with technicians during mechanical parts machining and finishing, assembling, performance and environmental testing of prototypes, supporting the rest of the team during integration and system tests, and generally improving and modifying designs.
The ideal candidate has experience in designing mechanical devices and working with precise mechanisms for space applications. You have worked on at least one project from initial design to final implementation. You take pride in your work, and continually drive projects toward success while considering systems-level requirements.
- Designing mechanisms and structures for a robotic arm system
- Collaborating with electrical and robotics engineers to package complex electromechanical systems
- Optimizing mechanical design and lead analysis to achieve better performance and higher reliability
- Creating 2D manufacturing and technical assembly drawings
- Specifying, selecting, and acquiring necessary components
- Performing fast-prototypes for quick validation of design
- Bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or materials engineering
- At least three years of experience as a mechanical design engineer
- Demonstrated CAD skills (through portfolio and/or 3D modelling evaluations)
- Software Expertise: Inventor, SolidWorks, Ansys, Matlab
- Fluency in English
PREFERRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Worked at least one development project, in a role which required design, integration, and testing
- At least three years of experience as a mechanical design engineer working on space mechanisms
- Developed in the past precise mechanisms for space applications, such as joints, coupling devices, SADMs, APMs, HDRMs, scientific instruments or mechanisms for space exploration missions
- Experience in performing thermal, vibrational, and stress analysis
- Experience in performing assembly and validation of mechanisms