Working toward enabling humans to live and work in space.
Redwire is accelerating humanity’s expansion into space by delivering reliable, economical and sustainable infrastructure for future generations.
Deployable Space Systems, a Redwire business unit, is the leading developer and provider of satellite mechanisms, deployable structures and booms and deployable solar array systems to the global space market. The company’s key products include deployable solar array systems, deployable structural and mechanical systems and supporting subsystems.
We have a current opportunity for a Systems Engineer to join our team in Goleta, CA. In this role you will report the Systems Engineering Group manager and be responsible for being the Technical Lead on specific projects. This person will be responsible for managing the projects from concept through production, including management of other project team members.
- Provide technical leadership for development, release, qualification, and delivery of high-performance space deployable products for on-orbit environments.
- Work with the Chief Engineer to establish and maintain a program’s deliverables that satisfies all customer specifications, statements of work, and requirements.
- Interface and collaborate with a program’s multi-functional groups (Program Management, Design, Analysis, Procurement, Manufacturing, Test) as the established gatekeeper of the program’s established deliverables. Manage the engineering portion of a program’s scope, schedule, and budget.
- Estimate labor resource demand and coordinate labor planning with the Engineering Department.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance on the program needs to the Design Group.
- Coordinate internal Peer Reviews and a tollgate process.
- Support Long Lead Procurement.
- Determine disposition and corrective action on non-conforming items
- Interface with the Manufacturing Department to review and approve Work Instructions.
- Establish and oversee the execution of the program Test Plan.
- Maintain a Specification Requirements and Material & Processes database.
- Generate and present technical documentation in support of customer facing Design Reviews.
- Customer with post-delivery support, including product integration, launch, and on-orbit performance.
- B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or other space-related discipline.
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience in space industry, including developing, designing, manufacturing, and testing space flight hardware.
- Must have a well-rounded System Level approach with demonstrated technical leadership.
- Knowledge of SolidWorks; experience using SolidWorks PDM.
- Drafting knowledge with understanding of GD&T per ASME Y14.5 along with tolerance analysis capabilities.
- Demonstrated Design for Manufacturability.
- Manufacturing Engineering / Test Engineering experience.
- Experience in the Root Cause Analysis process.
- Must be able to develop and present project information to the internal team and external customers.
- Strong attention to detail with advanced verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated in applying engineering principles, concepts, and practices of mechanical / aerospace engineering to independently perform assignments.
- Ability to travel – an average of 10-15% travel may be required. Most of the travel is local but some overnight travel may be required.
- Experience with space mechanism design and aerospace guidelines such as GSFC-STD-7000A (GEVS), AIAA S-114-2005, NASA-STD-5017, MMPDS, etc.
- Experience with SolidWorks Simulation, Thermal Desktop, NASTRAN or ANSYS is a plus.
- Experience working with design, manufacture and verification of electromechanical systems and composite structures.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office 365, including SharePoint and Teams. Microsoft Project experience a plus.
- Training and Certification in the Lean Six Sigma process.
- Ability to produce “Completed Staff Work.”
- A growth mindset.