We are an aerospace firm dedicated to providing industry-wide access to sophisticated, in-space, robotic arm solutions. Our vision for space is one where humans living and working there is commonplace. The technologies we're developing today are critical to humanity one day achieving its spacefaring dreams.
Made In Space Europe believes that industrialising space is the next critical step in humanity’s push to go deeper and farther into the cosmos than ever before. Made In Space Europe is developing robotic technologies to enable commercial activity in Earth orbit, on other planets, and beyond.
SENIOR MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER
The senior mechanical design engineer in this role will be responsible for the design of space-rated robotic arm end effectors. You will be designing 3D mechanical models, optimising mechanical design to achieve better performance and higher reliability, creating 2D manufacturing and technical assembly drawings, selecting and acquiring necessary components, deciding on material and lubrication solutions, cooperating with technicians during mechanical parts machining and finishing, assembling, performing functional and environmental testing of prototypes, supporting the rest of the team during integration and system tests, and generally improving and modifying designs.
The ideal candidate has experience working on complex electromechanical systems. You have ample experience performing nuanced engineering and creating specialised designs. You are experienced working with precise mechanisms in a tech-forward industry, such as space, semiconductor, robotics, or automotive. You have worked on at least one project from initial design to final implementation. You are a self-starter, and are comfortable taking ownership of complex design tasks in a dynamic work environment. You take pride in your work, and continually drive projects toward success while considering systems-level requirements.
- Designing mechanisms and structures for robotic arm end effectors while balancing cost, schedule, and technical requirements
- Collaborating with electrical and robotics engineers to package complex electromechanical systems
- Optimising mechanical design of end effectors and leading analysis to improve performance and reliability
- Creating 2D manufacturing and technical assembly drawings, as well as project-level documentation
- Specifying, selecting, and acquiring necessary components
- Performing fast-prototypes for quick validation of design
- Holding design reviews with teammates to ensure that designs are manufacturable, easy to assemble and fully functional
- Experience in precision engineering in the aerospace industry
- Extensive experience working in the laboratory
- Bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or materials engineering (or a related field)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a mechanical design engineer
- Demonstrated CAD skills (through portfolio and/or 3D modelling evaluations)
- Software Expertise: Inventor, SolidWorks, Ansys, Matlab
- Fluency in English
PREFERRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Worked at least one development project, in a role which required design, integration, and testing
- At least 3 years of experience as a mechanical design engineer working intensively on space mechanisms
- Developed in the past precise mechanisms for space applications, such as joints, coupling devices, SADMs, APMs, HDRMs, scientific instruments for space exploration missions
- Experience in performing thermal, vibrational, and stress analysis
- Experience in performing assembly and validation of mechanisms
- Experience in Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design for Assembly (DFA), and/or cost optimisation
- Willing to teach and mentor junior engineers to improve overall team performance
Interested, but not sure you meet every single requirement? Research shows that men will apply to jobs when they meet only 60% of the requirements, but women and other minority groups may only apply if they’re sure they meet 100%. If you were turning away because you don’t meet 100%, well, we’d still like to hear from you – tell us how you’re the best fit for the requirements you’re sure you meet.
To accept this position and relocate to Luxembourg, candidates must have a police check/criminal record not more than six months old.