Virgin Galactic (VG) is on track to become the world’s first private spaceline. It is dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism with a longer term vision to develop orbital flights for space tourism and other commercial applications. VG is seeking an industry leader with an entrepreneurial spirit, fueled by innovation and collaboration with emphasis on forward thinking.
Virgin Galactic has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter, and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who You Are
Manager of Finance, Planning and Analysis is instrumental in leading and driving the budgeting and forecasting process for Virgin Galactic Operations (VG Ops), and providing insightful analyses and information to enhance overall Company decision making and profitability. This role will provide continual and ad-hoc expense analyses, coordinate plans and budgets with individual business units, and drive better productivity through the identification of process and functional improvements. You will work alongside finance and other team members across the entire organization to continually improve the overall performance and productivity of the enterprise.
- Lead FP&A Process at VG Ops
- Lead detail annual department budgeting and quarterly reforecasting process. Manage corporate templates for: headcount, operating, and capital expenditures.
- Meet with leaders across program to identify costs and headcount requirements in support of management objectives, including headcount, operating and capital expenditures
- Work closely with accounting team to determine proper accounting treatment for planned expenses from program leaders (Capex, Opex, prepaid, amortizations, etc.). Address accounting/planning questions from program leaders (accounting treatment, payment schedules and impacts on financials, etc.)
- Collaborate with accounting, manufacturing and supply chain on inventory management and planning/purchasing activities
- Support/Lead revenue/deferred revenue and cost of goods sold planning
- Perform budget to forecast, forecast to forecast reconciliations
- Submit budgets/forecasts to VG Corporate
- Monthly Department Performance Reporting
- Perform account level variance explanations, identifying timing vs. permanent cost differences to budget
- Demonstrate ability to provide program level/macro explanations on milestone progress as it relates to budget/forecast
- Conduct GL account review for all P&L activity, validating balances are reasonable and accurate as compared to current operating plans
- Lead revenue and costs of goods sold analyses
- Lead implementation of project-based planning and tracking of project costs. Support costing process for operational units
- Lead Senior Management/BOD Dashboard Reporting Process
- Oversee VG Ops portion of monthly dashboard reporting process, including performing variance explanations, headcount comparisons, etc.
- Participate in senior finance monthly close meetings
- Support requests for ad-hoc reports, pro-forma financial statements
- Lead Implementation and Roll-out of Budgeting/Planning and Reporting Tool (Anaplan)
- Previous experience working in EPM environments highly preferred, including implementation and roll-out to finance and operational units.
- Work with Finance/Accounting and other stakeholders on issues and solutions across Virgin Galactic organization
- Develop impactful, compelling presentation materials (decks, notes, write-ups, backup materials, etc.) that effectively communicates financial projections, risks and opportunities
- Other special projects as required
What you bring
- Progressive advancement in accounting and finance function in operational or corporate finance departments
- 8-10 years of continuous experience. Public company and/or manufacturing-environment experience preferred
- Strong business partnering and interpersonal skills. Highly organized, flexible and easily adaptable to changing conditions. Communicate financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand and drives desired behaviors
- Strong ability to understand VG operationally to properly align financial projections and to assess impacts to operational goals
- Ability to multi-task and manage numerous simultaneous priorities. High energy, high ownership of work product and dedication and commitment to driving results
- Knowledge of US GAAP, demonstrated either through work experience or professional accountancy qualification. Experience with Cost Accounting Standards preferred
- BA/BS in Finance/Accounting/Economics required. CPA and/or MBA preferred
- Strong working knowledge of Excel:
- Formulas and Functions, including: Pivot tables, Vlookups, Nested IF statements, Logic statements, etc. Financial modeling experience in Excel required. Data tables, what if analysis
- Excel best practices required (formatting, file linking, etc.)
- Strong working knowledge of MS PowerPoint
- Experience with Oracle, Excel4Apps, and Anaplan a plus
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
VG and the greater Virgin Organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.