At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member for our team to serve as Manager of Test Operations. If you join us in this position, you will assist in leading all development activities related to propulsion and structural testing. As we transition toward launching monthly, this individual will be a key player in successfully executing our engine and stage acceptance tests for the LauncherOne small satellite launch program. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Mojave , California.
- Planning and coordinating resources across multiple sites to support conflicting requirements
- Assuring correct technical approach for execution of tests and data reduction
- Aligning the day to day activities with the Program Master Schedule
- Mentoring of employees at all levels in technical and organizational functions
- Coordinate with Test Site Manager(s)
- Construction and maintenance of all test site facilities and test infrastructure
- Managing external contracts for test site services and rentals
- Installing test articles and performing facility checkouts.
- Scheduling tests and assuring that adequate consumables are available
- Assuring safe test site operations
- Assuring compliance with regulations
- Coordinate with Test Responsible Engineers
- Released Test Plans are being adhered to
- Serving as Test Director, Test Conductor, or Test Engineer as needed
- Coordinating test activity both internally and externally
- Executing test procedures
- Analyzing test data
- Conducting test data reviews
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Performs other duties as assigned
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- B.S. Engineering or Physics
- 6 years aerospace-related work experience (required)
- 5 years launch-vehicle-related experience (required)
- Management of complex space system production experience (required)
- Management of propulsion ground test and launch experience (preferred)
- Management of high-performance teams including engineers, production technicians and flight operations personnel experience (preferred)
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours minimum
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 25lbs (unassisted)
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.