Altran is the global leader in Engineering and R&D services. Altran works alongside its clients, from initial concept through industrialization, to invent the products and services of tomorrow. Altran is an established supplier of skilled manpower to ESA and in particular at ESTEC.
The candidate we are looking for will operate as Materials and Processes Evaluation Engineer in the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality area. His/Her duty station will be the European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC) based in Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
Main duties will include:
- Propose/realize test methods/setups to satisfy the customer needs;
- Design and perform non-standard tests to meet special space Projects requirements as well as develop in-situ analysis techniques;
- Perform all measurements and analyses on metallic as well as non-metallic materials (including all cleanliness and contamination control related activities as well as PCBs and electronic assembly) on a variety of destructive and non-destructive test equipment/tools. This includes also the issuing of dedicated testing procedures and documentation development as well as inclusion of test requests and test results in the relevant Quality Management Systems and databases;
- To set up and operate equipment/analysis tools devoted to the assessment of space environmental effects. This includes assessment by simulating the space environment (vacuum, radiation, ATOX, contamination, thermal ….) as well as pre/post characterisation by analytical techniques (thermal analysis, chemical analysis, physical and microscopic analysis, surface analysis, spectroscopic analysis, NDI techniques etc.)
- Use a variety of laboratory tools, including acoustic microscopy, optical microscopy, scanning microscopy, confocal microscopy, XRD, X-Ray imaging, NDI etc., XPS, surface tension, Auger Microscopy, Raman Spectroscopy, Atomic Force Microscopy, IST Testing;
- Perform mechanical and thermo-mechanical testing (including static, fatigue, fatigue crack propagation, Nano indentation, Nano scratch, low speed impact, hardness testing), also using contact and contact less in-situ strain measurement systems (strain gauges/ARAMIS);
- Perform all corrosion characterisation testing, including but not limited to stress-corrosion, galvanic, red-plague, general corrosion, humidity/salt fog testing, etc.;
- Perform all thermal analysis on materials (including thermo-gravimetric, differential scanning calorimetry, thermo-mechanical as well as dynamic mechanical analysis, dielectric analysis, CTE determination, thermal diffusivity/conductivity analysis as well as coupled and advanced thermal modelling techniques for physico-chemical analysis.
- Support R&D activities with focus on metallic and non-metallic materials advanced evaluation/characterisation/verification methods covering the needs of future space missions;
- Support the laboratory equipment procurement definition and implementation;
- Perform all verification activities on Printed Circuit Boards and electronics assemblies;
- Record sample properties or condition during and after test, accurately and legibly;
- Review and issue relevant test reports for all performed test activities;
- Check on test equipment performance and reporting any anomalies or faults;
- Improve test procedures and ensuring that these are executed correctly;
- Maintain of the relevant test equipment, ensuring that the equipment under his/her responsibility is kept in an operational state and all necessary routine calibration and maintenance activities are performed.
Specific Qualification Requirements:
- Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in materials engineering and science, materials physics/metallurgy and/or non-metallic materials or another related field, as well as several years’ industrial experience preferably covering aerospace hardware and R&D;
- Strong materials laboratory hands-on experience related to metallic as well as non-metallic materials, manufacturing and applied processes characterisation/verification and failure investigation; a strong background on space simulation facilities is an asset.
- Knowledge of ISO 17025 related testing activities and ability to carry out testing and analysis in an ISO 17025 or other Quality Management System applicable standards. This includes procedure and documentation development;
- Familiarity with data acquisition systems and software (e. g. LABVIEW);
- Ability to issue clear and concise materials testing reports;
- The selected candidate will receive a permanent contract with Altran Netherlands and a fair remuneration in line with ESA Job Class.
- The selected candidate will be registered for both social security and tax in the Netherlands.
- The standard working hours are 40 per week.
- Training to improve efficiency and provide strength for future career are included.