Virgin Galactic is on track to become the world’s first privately funded commercial space line. It is dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism with a longer term vision to develop other space technologies that have the potential to open space to significantly more people and users. If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver and can make things happen – apply today!
Virgin Galactic and the greater Virgin Organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who You Are
VG is seeking Materials Handler to actively facilitate the movement of materials, consumables, hazardous materials and other inventory items necessary to establish and operate the world’s first private spaceline. The materials handler will use our ERP system – Ultramain to perform inventory tracking and movement of material, kitting of materials and consumables for operations, physical inventory, cycle counts, and will ensure the accuracy of all inventory movement activities within the warehouse. The candidate will also have duties that will include processing and verification of incoming and outgoing material, preparing and tracking shipments and freight paperwork, incoming material inspection and verification of proper certification, and conduct the loading and unloading of trucks. An ideal candidate should have work history that demonstrates their ability to successfully work in an environment that requires exceptional attention to detail, the ability to multi-task, have excellent computer skills, and can demonstrate excellent customer service and communication skills in a fast paced manufacturing environment. This position is located in Las Cruces, New Mexico.
Develop and implement overarching processes and strategies in Materials Management that include:
- Understands production planning, inventory and shortage reports, and work orders to determine the correct material and quantity.
- Able to prioritize work orders based on demand and availability.
- Communications with requestors to inform the status of the material.
- Maintain accurate inventory, perform cycle counting and physical inventory of stock.
- Responsible for inbound receiving and inspection activities. Accurately receive all inbound deliveries into ERP system; maintain records of all receipts in compliance with VG requirements.
- Verify all incoming documentation and applicable certifications are correct. For international inbound shipments ensure required customs paperwork is received at the time of receipt, audited and maintained for record.
- Resolve issues which cause inbound shipment delays in customs or elsewhere.
- For hazardous materials ensure required hazmat or MSDS documentation is correct at the time of receipt for all of the material entering and exiting the facility. Ensure MSDS information is routed correctly to each locations MSDS books.
- Perform accurate transactions in ERP system (Ultramain) for issuing, issue returns, disposal for materials to appropriate cost-center or projects as required.
- Manage HAZMAT storage.
- Proactively monitor and manage shelf life for material in the warehouse.
- Ensure that operations planning is aware of any shelf life issues that might adversely affect operation schedules.
- Proactively work with procurement specialists to recommend adjustments or scrap transactions.
- Ensure material handling and storage requirements are understood and in place prior to the required receipt of incoming materials.
- Manage overages, shortages, and damages. Audit freight bills against carrier contracts and freight claims with carriers.
- Accurately pick and kit material components as required. Manage the on-time delivery to operational points of use. Ensure material transactions are accurate for issues and returns. Ensure scrap is correctly tracked and disposed of properly.
- Manage interplant deliveries and local pick-up and delivery as required.
- Responsible for outbound shipping.
- Pack and label freight; maintain all outbound shipping records in compliance with VG and regulatory requirements.
- Schedule carriers for shipments.
- Ensure shipment documentation is accurate to avoid delays in delivery.
- Quote transportation with multiple carriers to minimize shipping costs.
- For international outbound shipments, create packing lists, customs invoices and AES transactions in compliance with regulations.
- On call coverage for emergency shipments or receipts is required.
- Train other Material Handlers, as needed.
- Support local pick-up and delivery requirements within a 200 mile radius of the facility as needed.
What you bring
- Strong experience with material movement in a high tech manufacturing or operational environment, advanced materials, or aerospace industries.
- Knowledge of ERP systems, ideally Ultramain MRO maintenance software. Other MRP system experience would be beneficial.
- Familiar with office software skills including MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Demonstrates a proven record of exceeding customer expectations.
- Ability to hold & maintain a valid driver’s license in New Mexico.
- Understanding of import/export processes including ITAR.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Practical approach/leads by example. Happy to be hands on and demonstrates the ability to work cross-functionally across the organization.
- Knowledge of various material management methods.
- Excellent communication skills (team, management, and suppliers) and excellent customer service skills.
- Organized, exceptional attention to detail, and structured approach, with the ability to multi-task as required.
- Incredible energy and passion with a resourceful attitude.
- Self-motivated. Enjoys work independently. Possesses sound judgment and decision making abilities.
- Ability to react to change and thrive in a fast paced start-up environment.
- Flexible and adaptable.
- Experience in the aerospace industry would be a plus.
Physical and/or Additional Requirements
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 9 hours min.
- Must be able to stoop, bend, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces.
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 40lbs (unassisted).
- Must be able to operate a forklift
- Must be able to operate a manual pallet jack and move loaded skids weighing up to 200lbs.
Suggestions for Education/Certifications
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required.
- BS or AAS in Material Management, Logistics, or equivalent experience is a plus.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.