Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Air Traffic Management, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
An opportunity has arisen for a Material Science Engineer in Thales UK, Reading working within our Land and Air Systems (LAS). We develop both simple and highly integrated systems that are operated and maintained in a wide variety of environmental conditions, consequently material selection is a critical consideration, not only in providing technically compliant solutions but with the increasing focus on material types, their sourcing and the impact of their use in terms of Sustainable Development and the requirement for reduction of risk or harm to the people in the extended supply chain, selection must also consider legal compliance and ethical values.
Key Responsibilities & Task:
- Contribute to the on-going development of the LAS UK response to emergent and changing Legislation such as the REACh and RoHS Regulations.
- Development of guidance and solutions that minimise business impact and facilitate efficient on-going management.
- Optimise materials engineering understanding in system design through appropriate consideration at each phase of the lifecycle, concept, design, development, use, maintenance and disposal.
- Support delivery of the Thales environmental and sustainability goals.
- Delivery of materials science and engineering tasks in project environments
- Implementing oversight and governance
- A wide range of knowledge covering the various dominant Standards normally associated with military and security equipment
- In depth knowledge of Materials Management Processes, and experienced in the implementation and delivery of Product Engineering activities
- Ability to manage a specialist team interfacing with a wide range of providers and customers
- Knowledgeable with respect to product environmental, material and safety related Legislation, Regulation and Standards
- Knowledge of lifecycle management, its requirements and application
- Knowledgeable in risk management, including materials related hazard identification, analysis, risk assessment and risk mitigation in the businesses product areas
- Experienced in accurately costing/estimating tasks
- Experienced in audits of internal and external Stakeholders.
In line with Thales’ Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 65,000 employees in 56 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!