MDA develops and delivers advanced surveillance and intelligence solutions, defence and maritime systems, radar geospatial imagery, space robotics, satellite antennas, and communication subsystems.
Innovation in Space and Defence
MDA develops and delivers advanced surveillance and intelligence solutions, defence and maritime systems, radar geospatial imagery, space robotics, satellite antennas, and communication subsystems. From locations across Canada, MDA’s global reach and heritage serving international markets with innovative and iconic solutions for space and terrestrial applications is unparalleled.
MDA has successfully exported its made-in-Canada solutions for more than four decades, and is poised to capture synergies across its associated companies to expand its capabilities in both traditional and developing markets. MDA is committed to delivering innovation and value in next-generation space exploration, Earth observation, space awareness, and defence systems.
The new space economy is based on agility, rapid technology development and harnessing capital to turn commitments into reality, generating benefits for humanity as well as a return on investment. MDA’s 1,900 future-focused employees are working together to turn ideas into the products, services, systems, and solutions that make a better world.
The production engineer must collaborate with a multidisciplinary team in order to build space products used on state-of-the-art satellites.
He participates in the design of the product and ensures the manufacturability of the product (Design for manufacturing) in collaboration with the various stakeholders of the design, purchasing and quality teams. This is done in order to meet the client’s needs and requirements, while ensuring to build a reliable product over the long term at an optimal cost.
He also supports production during the manufacturing phase by being part of a dynamic production team. The process engineer is responsible for the inter-program cohesion of the assembly, integration and testing operations of our space products. He ensures the good quality of the product and documents during the entire production chain within the timeframe and budget.
For various projects, the engineer is responsible for the efficient communication between production, program management, design, test, quality assurance, and other teams.
The engineer, as the technical authority, must:
- Select and support SMT assembly manufacturing equipment (Printer, Placement, reflow, BGA rework, …)
- Conduct and support the qualifications of the various programs to ensure that the products will meet the environmental requirements of the mission in terms of long-term reliability.
- Orchestrate the various aspects of assembly: procurement, inventory, operations and manpower planning;
- Participate in test sequencing and ensure readiness: preparation of fixtures (GSE), support, result conformance, in close collaboration with the planning and design teams.
- Ensure compliance with quality assurance and safety plans.
- Develop and qualify new processes
In addition to project monitoring, the engineer participates actively in the continuous improvement of various production departments (electronic and mechanical fabrication, purchasing and supply chain, design teams, tests, planning, human resources…) Continuous improvement consists in optimizing tasks, selection, evaluation and qualification of new equipment, the implementation of correction action requests, the qualification of new processes/products/sub-contractors. He also contributes to the implementation and monitoring of the “Lean Manufacturing” philosophy.
- Determine strategy for the assembly and integration of produced units
- Coordinate the daily activities in laboratories (can be the operational delegate of the manager and set assignment priorities in the short term.)
- Ensure communication between the different members (design technical authorities, technologists, planners, quality assurance, management, from one work shift to the next,…)
- Continuously review the production or test processes
- Improve the quality and security in the test and production areas
- Participate in the development and resolution of non-conformances and corrective action requests
- Establish production schedules (procurement, manpower, equipment, …)
- Participate in the development and improvement of the supply chain, and support monitoring activities of component suppliers
- Implement production metrics, analyze variances, determine gaps and implement improvements
- Participate in program engineering reviews (TOB) to meet the design production needs
- Represent the production team during MRBs
- Approve and suggest improvements for assembly documents and production orders
- Estimate and control costs
- Production support of electronic products. Support SMT and other processes related to electronic assembly manufacturing (SMT, PTH, board repair, board cleaning, etc.)
- Selection and purchase of new production equipment
- Other related tasks
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- Relevant experience in the production or design of electronic products
- Knowledge of standards IPC610/JSTD-001 and/or NASA-8739-01/02/03/04
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing principles
- Good communication proficiency
- Able to work on several simultaneous priorities
- Rapid decision-making ability
- Ability to demonstrate leadership by interacting with technical teams and management teams
- Project management knowledge
- Able to solve various challenges
- Dynamic, proactive, detail oriented, attentive to others
- Bilingual (French/English)
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company’s retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.