MDA develops and delivers advanced surveillance and intelligence solutions, defence and maritime systems, radar geospatial imagery, space robotics, satellite antennas, and communication subsystems. From locations across Canada, MDA’s global reach and heritage serving international markets with innovative and iconic solutions for space and terrestrial applications is unparalleled.
Innovation in Space and Defence
MDA has successfully exported its made-in-Canada solutions for more than four decades, and is poised to capture synergies across its associated companies to expand its capabilities in both traditional and developing markets. MDA is committed to delivering innovation and value in next-generation space exploration, Earth observation, space awareness, and defence systems.
The new space economy is based on agility, rapid technology development and harnessing capital to turn commitments into reality, generating benefits for humanity as well as a return on investment. MDA’s 1,900 future-focused employees are working together to turn ideas into the products, services, systems, and solutions that make a better world.
Please review the job details below.
Provide RF and Electrical Unit design architecture, performance analysis, implementation and testing in support of advance RF equipment for communication or remote sensing satellites. The candidate as an in-depth knowledge of unit RF design, experience in coordination and technical management of a multidisciplinary team, related to commercial or military Payload RF equipment development.
The candidate has a strong knowledge of unit RF subsystems such as: reference oscillators, frequency synthesizers, phase-lock loops, frequency multipliers, low noise amplifiers, up and down converters, power amplifiers, modulators, high speed A/D & D/A convertors and IF to baseband converters. Knowledge of multilayer PCB and SMT technologies is also an asset along with experience with MMICs and RFIC’s using state of the art technology.
Experience in performing various engineering analysis is required such as worst case, failure mode analysis, radiation impact analysis and associated mitigations. Good writing skills are also required for generating the relevant engineering documentation.
- Leads and coordinates the development activities of Payload RF equipment during the unit life cycle, including bids, requirement definition, design, performance evaluation, project implementation, testing phases along with R&D activities in support of unit or processes improvement.
- Responsible for the completion of project assignments, including requirement compliances within budgetary and time allocation.
- Generates and maintain program schedules on a regular basis identifying work around plans to recover from unexpected challenges.
- Main technical interface with the customer.
- Technical management of a multidisciplinary team.
- Establishes unit design architectures. Performs various trade-offs involving technical, cost and schedule impacts and makes recommendations.
- Establishes detailed RF designs and sub-assembly performance specifications to fulfil the requirements of customer unit specifications.
- Generates RF electrical line-ups, performs electrical budgets and detailed analysis and trade-offs.
- Performs experiments, bench tests, etc., researches challenging designs through various sources of technical information.
- Works with the production teams through the development phase optimizing the design for increased manufacturing efficiency.
- Produces technical documentation (part lists, schematics, etc) & technical reports
- Generates and presents design technical review material for various design reviews such as PDR & CDR.
- Analyzes results and prepares project reports, makes recommendations to the management inclusive of project cost estimates on a repeated basis.
- Mentors and coaches the work of less experienced engineers.
- Knowledge of RF/Microwave CAD tools such as Keysight ADS and Ansys HFSS is essential, familiarity with Keysight SystemVue and Mentor Graphics is a definite asset.
- Candidates have 7 to 12 years experience in RF circuit design, and a minimum of 2 years as unit lead.
- B.Sc or equivalent in Electrical Engineering, M.Sc preferred.
- Strong teamwork capabilities, along with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work autonomously.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company’s retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.