MDA develops and delivers advanced surveillance and intelligence solutions, defence and maritime systems, radar geospatial imagery, space robotics, satellite antennas, and communication subsystems.
MDA develops and delivers advanced surveillance and intelligence solutions, defence and maritime systems, radar geospatial imagery, space robotics, satellite antennas, and communication subsystems. From locations across Canada, MDA’s global reach and heritage serving international markets with innovative and iconic solutions for space and terrestrial applications is unparalleled.
MDA has successfully exported its made-in-Canada solutions for more than four decades, and is poised to capture synergies across its associated companies to expand its capabilities in both traditional and developing markets. MDA is committed to delivering innovation and value in next-generation space exploration, Earth observation, space awareness, and defence systems.
The new space economy is based on agility, rapid technology development and harnessing capital to turn commitments into reality, generating benefits for humanity as well as a return on investment. MDA’s 1,900 future-focused employees are working together to turn ideas into the products, services, systems, and solutions that make a better world.
The MDA facility in Brampton, Ontario has supported human spaceflight for the past 30+ years through the design and operational support of space robotics systems such as Canadarm on the Space Shuttle, and Canadarm2 and Dextre on the International Space Station. In addition, this site develops rover technology for Moon and Mars missions, space-borne sensors for planetary exploration missions, as well as a multitude of terrestrial spin-offs for medical robotics and nuclear power plant operations. MDA is currently exploring future opportunities in areas such as AI-based robotics for Lunar Gateway (the next international space station, which will orbit the moon), on-orbit satellite servicing, and next-generation space missions.
MDA is currently seeking a Software Engineer/Member of Technical Staff to help accelerate the Software Engineering Department with implementation and maintenance of world-class software development tools and automation. These tools and automation will support our goals of building innovative vision and robotics systems at faster paces while maintaining our high quality and safety standards. These future vision and robotics systems will target new challenges in the areas of space, medicine, nuclear, and other terrestrial robotics applications.
- Strong written/verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Proven ability/experience implementing/maintaining build systems: Robustness/dependability, Speed, Reproducibility, Cross-compiling to embedded/RTOS platforms
- Proven ability/experience implementing/maintaining software development automation: Continuous integration, Requirements traceability, Software metrics (code coverage, etc.)
- Strong scripting skills in Python
- Bachelor degree in Software, Computer, or Electrical Engineering or Computer Science with 3+ years of relevant experience
- Implementation in Windows and Linux
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic, and a positive thinker
- Strong knowledge of C/C++
- Scripting in Lua, Perl, etc.
- Automated testing (TDD, ATDD, GWT)
- Unity, VR/AR
- Embedded/RTOS development – VxWorks, RTX64, etc.
- Robotic arm control
- Communications interfaces (TCP/IP, PCI, 1553, I2C, RS232, RS422, EtherCat, CANOpen, etc.)
- Cross-platform GUI development (including web interfaces)
- Ada, Java, C#
All candidates must be able to obtain CGP and ITAR clearance.
MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting diversity in the workplace.
With respects to Accessibilities for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Inc. is proud to provide accommodation(s) during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodations, please feel free to notify us.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company’s retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.