MDA develops and delivers advanced surveillance and intelligence solutions, defence and maritime systems, radar geospatial imagery, space robotics, satellite antennas, and communication subsystems.
Innovation in Space and Defence
MDA develops and delivers advanced surveillance and intelligence solutions, defence and maritime systems, radar geospatial imagery, space robotics, satellite antennas, and communication subsystems. From locations across Canada, MDA’s global reach and heritage serving international markets with innovative and iconic solutions for space and terrestrial applications is unparalleled.
MDA has successfully exported its made-in-Canada solutions for more than four decades, and is poised to capture synergies across its associated companies to expand its capabilities in both traditional and developing markets. MDA is committed to delivering innovation and value in next-generation space exploration, Earth observation, space awareness, and defence systems.
The new space economy is based on agility, rapid technology development and harnessing capital to turn commitments into reality, generating benefits for humanity as well as a return on investment. MDA’s 1,900 future-focused employees are working together to turn ideas into the products, services, systems, and solutions that make a better world.
Please review the job details below.
The MDA facility in Brampton, Ontario has supported human spaceflight for the past 30+ years through the design and operational support of space robotics systems such as Canadarm on the Space Shuttle, and Canadarm2 and Dextre on the International Space Station. In addition, this site develops rover technology for Mars missions, space-borne sensors for planetary exploration missions, as well as a multitude of terrestrial spin-offs for medical robotics and nuclear power plant operations. MDA is currently exploring future opportunities in areas such as AI-based robotics for Lunar Gateway (the next international space station, which will orbit the moon), on-orbit satellite servicing, and next-generation space missions. The site is currently seeking Engineers for Guidance, Navigation and Controls Department.
As an Engineer, the suitable candidate will work in the Deep Space Exploration Robotics program (under the Lunar Gateway program), and/or R&D activities and/or in the Logistics & Sustaining Engineering (L&SE) program (to support On-Orbit Space Station activities).
The daily duties will include:
- Mathematical modelling of rigid/flexible payloads using the in-house developed simulator.
- Tuning of the control system parameters of the manipulators to meet the performance objectives required for the On-Orbit tasks.
- Performing top down error budget allocations to subsystem components starting from system level error budget specifications.
- Deriving Space Robotics System Requirements Performing simulation runs to validate the new parameters.
- Performing simulation runs to analyse failures and recovery scenarios.
- Validating simulation models using On-Orbit data Contributing to technology development (R&D activities).
- Presenting analysis results to Technical Leads, Program management, Canadian Space Agency, ESA and NASA.
Qualifications and Experience
- Interested candidates must possess a Master’s degree in Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, or Computer Systems Engineering or Physics/Applied Mathematics.
- Candidate should have 6 years of hands on experience in advanced control and dynamic modelling of multi-DOF manipulators and algorithm implementation.
- An experience on Mobile Robot Autonomous Navigation or Vision System is an asset.
- The candidate must have demonstrated the ability to work in a team environment.
- Excellent verbal, written communication skills are essential to this position.
- All candidates must be able to obtain CGP and ITAR clearance.
MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting diversity in the workplace.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company’s retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.