MDA develops and delivers advanced surveillance and intelligence solutions, defence and maritime systems, radar geospatial imagery, space robotics, satellite antennas, and communication subsystems.
Innovation in Space and Defence
MDA develops and delivers advanced surveillance and intelligence solutions, defence and maritime systems, radar geospatial imagery, space robotics, satellite antennas, and communication subsystems. From locations across Canada, MDA’s global reach and heritage serving international markets with innovative and iconic solutions for space and terrestrial applications is unparalleled.
MDA has successfully exported its made-in-Canada solutions for more than four decades, and is poised to capture synergies across its associated companies to expand its capabilities in both traditional and developing markets. MDA is committed to delivering innovation and value in next-generation space exploration, Earth observation, space awareness, and defence systems.
The new space economy is based on agility, rapid technology development and harnessing capital to turn commitments into reality, generating benefits for humanity as well as a return on investment. MDA’s 1,900 future-focused employees are working together to turn ideas into the products, services, systems, and solutions that make a better world.
Please review the job details below.
For more than three decades, human spaceflight has been supported by advanced robotics developed by MDA. We have combined complex robotics with control software to develop the Space Shuttle’s Canadarm and the Mobile Servicing System (MSS) for the International Space Station. Leveraging our expertise in robotic technology and space-borne sensing systems, MDA is developing sophisticated systems for on-orbit servicing of satellites and planetary missions to explore the Moon and Mars.
On Earth we are taking our experience in space robotics into new areas of advanced robotics for novel industrial, medical, nuclear, and mining applications.
MDA is currently seeking a Program Manager to lead programs in its Brampton Vision Systems & Sensors group. These will be development programs or sustaining engineering programs, and of a cost plus and/or firm price nature.
- Support business pursuits of new programs.
- Lead large multi-disciplinary program teams to meet technical, schedule requirements and budget constraints.
- Identify and manage customer and program risks and opportunities including prioritization, mitigation, escalation, and resolution.
- Negotiate, discuss and reach agreement with the customer with respect to the key requirements and objectives of the program.
- Maintain hands-on control of the program through a process of regular program reviews, design reviews and audits, staff meetings and other program meetings.
- Maintain program visibility at the customer level through regular technical, management, and progress meetings. Liaise with customer to maintain effective relationships to instill and enhance the customer’s confidence in MDA’s quality systems and products.
- Develop/maintain a cadre of capable subcontractors and suppliers in conjunction with the supply chain that will ensure meeting supply requirements throughout the life of the program.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum 5 years Program Management experience, including managing large multi-disciplinary teams.
- Minimum 5 years direct experience in design and development of space and/or military flight hardware and/or software.
- Experience with government space agency programs
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in engineering or technical field.
- Experience in program planning, design & development, system manufacture, assembly, integration and test, operations, and/or maintenance (e.g. avionics, sensors, and other robotic subsystems).
- Strong knowledge of program management best practices along experience with earned value methodology, negotiations, risk management, contract management, subcontract management, financials and ITAR regulations.
- Areas of knowledge can include safety critical space, aerospace, or industrial applications, embedded systems, ground stations, HMI applications, robotic systems (including medical robotics), and electro-optic systems.
- Self-motivated with good interpersonal skills
- Team player demonstrating a high level of integrity.
- Conflict management skills in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Results-oriented and exhibits excellent critical thinking.
- Strives to provide customers/clients with personalized and efficient service.
- Ability to cope with significant workload peaks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Ability to travel as required.
- Additional tasks as required.
Excellent verbal, written communication skills are essential to this position.
All candidates must be able to obtain CGP and ITAR clearance.
MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting diversity in the workplace.
With respects to Accessibilities for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Inc. is proud to provide accommodation(s) during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodations, please feel free to notify us.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company’s retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.