WE’LL TAKE YOU THERE
For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we’ll take you there.
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and Geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we’re leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We’re fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
- We’re on the hunt for a Senior Engineer – Control Systems – Planetary rover on our Robotics & Space Operations team at our Brampton office.
- With 40 years of operational experience and proven performance on the iconic Canadarm programs including Space Shuttle and International Space Station robotics and operations support, our Robotics & Space Operations team has 100% mission success in making space dreams come true.
- As our Sr. Engineer – Control Systems – Planetary rover, you will work on Lunar and Mars rovers, and/or robotic arms, and/or Front End of the Business and/or R&D activities.
The daily duties will include:
- Developing rover autonomous guidance, navigation and controls capabilities: sensors data fusion, localisation, vision algorithms, terrain modelling and assessment, obstacle detection and avoidance, and path planning and tracking
- Designing system architecture, selecting sensors and deriving performance requirements
- Determining multiple design alternatives, assessing each based upon all identified constraints (cost, schedule, complexity, volume, power, safety, mass, usability, reliability, reusability, maintainability, availability) and selecting the most suitable options for further design
- Conducting system and subsystem level design trade-offs to optimize design by partitioning large systems into (successive layers of) subsystems and components
- Leading a multi-disciplinary team to generate performance models and error budgets to ensure that adequate design margins are provisioned to the design team
- Conducting rover system integration and field trials in analogue terrains
- Performing design assessment, timeline analysis, mass budget, power/energy budget, and communications budget for planetary rovers
- Performing simulation runs to validate mathematical models, new parameters, and control algorithms
- Presenting analysis results to Technical Leads, Program management, Canadian Space Agency, European Space Agency and NASA
- Contributing to technology development (R&D activities), and to the Front End of the Business including performing cost estimation and proposal writing for new bids
- Interested candidates must possess a Master’s degree in Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, or Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or Applied Mathematics.
- The candidate should have 8 years of hands-on experience in integrated rover system design, integrated vision systems and autonomous execution design.
- Experience with self-driving vehicles is an asset.
- Experience with control and dynamic modelling of multi-DOF mechanisms is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential to this position.
- The candidate must have demonstrated the ability to work in a team environment.
We’re a dream team of purpose-driven, collaborative and passionate people, and we are constantly looking for others to join #TeamMDA to ignite new and innovative approaches to problem-solving that push us forward to improve life on and above Earth. If you’re excited to expand our place in space and driven to inspire the next generation, we’ll take you there.
We have entered a new era of exploration and development, and MDA welcomes all who yearn to suit up and be part of it. An equal opportunity employer prizing diversity, integrity and collaboration, we are committed to growing MDA’s and Canada’s leadership in this next golden age.
Successful candidates must obtain and hold security clearance at the reliability status level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program (CGP) and ITAR.
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at all locations. As a team member of MDA, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection through competitive health care including; extended healthcare and flexible drug plans, dental and vision benefits, disability income protection, life insurance, group retirement savings plans; and an employee and family assistance program.
MDA is an equal opportunity employer prizing diversity and inclusion. We are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity. If you require assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please feel free to notify us.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: Strengthening our workforce is more important than ever to meet our customers’ mission-critical needs. We are continuing to hire many talented people, and we are closely monitoring COVID-19 to ensure safe hiring practices are used. This includes limiting onsite candidate interviews and prioritizing video interviews.
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace