MDA develops and delivers advanced surveillance and intelligence solutions, defence and maritime systems, radar geospatial imagery, space robotics, satellite antennas, and communication subsystems. From locations across Canada, MDA’s global reach and heritage serving international markets with innovative and iconic solutions for space and terrestrial applications is unparalleled.
Innovation in Space and Defence
MDA has successfully exported its made-in-Canada solutions for more than four decades, and is poised to capture synergies across its associated companies to expand its capabilities in both traditional and developing markets. MDA is committed to delivering innovation and value in next-generation space exploration, Earth observation, space awareness, and defence systems.
The new space economy is based on agility, rapid technology development and harnessing capital to turn commitments into reality, generating benefits for humanity as well as a return on investment. MDA’s 1,900 future-focused employees are working together to turn ideas into the products, services, systems, and solutions that make a better world.
Space Solutions Engineering Lead
Acts as the recognized engineering authority in space systems development:
- Provides leadership in Internal Review Teams (IRTs) review of space system designs in bids and throughout development programs lifetimes across the Robotics and Space Operations business area, including reviews of vendors and suppliers, and formal reviews with the customer and vendor chains.
- Formulates and recommends plans for the mitigation of project issues/risks across the Robotics and Space Operations business.
- Develops and mentors a large, diverse group of engineers to create agile project teams that can tackle complex engineering challenges. Leads efforts to identify and create training programs for the space system design to help achieve this.
- Creates leading-edge conceptual solutions, working closely with business development, and generates high-level space system requirements, based upon user/customer needs, concept of operations, and other constraints.
- Develops and disseminates processes and technology improvements that will significantly reduce either cost and/or schedule across the Robotics and Space Operations business area.
- Successfully interfaces with other disciplines as required, including manufacturing, procurement, production control, quality assurance, and program management.
- Provides oversight across a variety of programs using metrics (such as technical and programmatic performance measures or other key metrics) to identify issue/risks and the impact to project execution.
Leads the architecting of creative system design solutions on flagship developments, leveraging prior development and team know-how, to innovate new solutions to meet top-level mission goals.
- Interrogates system requirements to ensure consistency and sufficiency with mission goals
- Leads the system design effort to identify and assess multiple design alternatives, assessing each based upon all identified constraints (e.g., cost, schedule, volume, power, safety, mass, usability, reliability, reusability, maintainability, availability) and select the most suitable options for further design.
- Oversees system and subsystem level design trade-offs to optimize design by partitioning large systems into (successive layers of) subsystems and components.
- Performs cost-benefit analyses to determine whether requirements are best met by operator, software, or hardware functions.
- Ensures that design teams are working with requirements that are consistent, complete, correct, traceable, and operationally defined.
- Leads project groups to generate performance models and error budgets to provision adequate design margins across the subsystem design teams.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company’s retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.