MDA develops and delivers advanced surveillance and intelligence solutions, defence and maritime systems, radar geospatial imagery, space robotics, satellite antennas, and communication subsystems.
Innovation in Space and Defence
MDA develops and delivers advanced surveillance and intelligence solutions, defence and maritime systems, radar geospatial imagery, space robotics, satellite antennas, and communication subsystems. From locations across Canada, MDA’s global reach and heritage serving international markets with innovative and iconic solutions for space and terrestrial applications is unparalleled.
MDA has successfully exported its made-in-Canada solutions for more than four decades, and is poised to capture synergies across its associated companies to expand its capabilities in both traditional and developing markets. MDA is committed to delivering innovation and value in next-generation space exploration, Earth observation, space awareness, and defence systems.
The new space economy is based on agility, rapid technology development and harnessing capital to turn commitments into reality, generating benefits for humanity as well as a return on investment. MDA’s 1,900 future-focused employees are working together to turn ideas into the products, services, systems, and solutions that make a better world.
Please review the job details below.
For more than three decades, human space flight has been supported by advanced robotics developed by MDA. We have combined complex robotics with control software to develop the Space Shuttle’s Canadarm and the Mobile Servicing System for the International Space Station. Leveraging our expertise in robotic technology and space-borne sensing systems, MDA is developing sophisticated systems for on-orbit servicing of satellites and planetary missions to explore the Moon and Mars.
On Earth we are taking our experience in space robotics into new areas of advanced robotics for nuclear, medical, industrial, and mining applications.
MDA is currently seeking an Engineer/Member Technical Staff to carry out systems engineering work for the Mobile Servicing System, the next-generation Canadarm3, and related projects.
The successful applicant will play a role in the following:
- Develop high-level system requirements, based upon the end user needs and/or stated requirements
- Analyse and decompose systems-level requirements and allocate requirements and design margin across sub-system elements
- Develop and ensure proper documentation of technical and interface requirements
- Develop and ensure proper documentation of high-level system and subsystem design
- Develop verification and test plans
- Understand and assess design issues, determine appropriate resolutions, and work with the team to address
- Troubleshoot system behaviour anomalies, determine root cause, and the appropriate technical resolution.
- Review, analyse, and interpret telemetry from deployed system with context and understanding of the system development life cycle
Qualifications and Experience:
- Interested candidates must possess a Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, Computer Systems Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or the equivalent.
- Four(4+) years of experience in systems engineering are required.
- Knowledge of the MSS system and its operation , and/or knowledge of robotic systems, flight verification and validation, and operations analysis is preferred.
- Familiarity with flight software, Matlab/Simulink, and Unix-based operating systems would also be a benefit.
Excellent verbal, written communication skills are essential to this position.
All candidates must be able to obtain CGP and ITAR clearance.
MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting diversity in the workplace.
With respects to Accessibilities for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Inc. is proud to provide accommodation(s) during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodations, you are encouraged to notify us.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company’s retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.