WE’LL TAKE YOU THERE
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we’re leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We’re fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
We’re on the hunt for a Senior Systems Engineer on our Robotics and Space Operations team at our Kanata office.
Robotics & Space Operations: With 40 years of operational experience and proven performance on the iconic Canadarm programs including Space Shuttle and International Space Station robotics and operations support, our Robotics & Space Operations team has 100% mission success in making space dreams come true.
SENIOR SYSTEMS ENGINEER JOB SUMMARY
The Systems Engineer is responsible for leading the “interdisciplinary approach governing the total technical and managerial effort required to transform a set of customer needs, expectations and constraints into a solution and to support that solution throughout its life” (SEBoK). This role has a primary focus on complex requirements and pre-implementation life-cycle activities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Applying engineering knowledge to large and/or complex projects in the design, development, test, integration, verification, validation and operation of complex, specialized products and/or technologies;
- Collaborating with external and internal stakeholders to develop and decompose system level requirements, map to verification activities and manage requirements and verification throughout a project’s life cycle;
- Driving the development of system architecture, design and interface documentation;
- Performing trade studies, analyses and modeling in support of requirements and system development;
- Creating and maintaining system budgets;
- Identifying, assessing and handling project risks;
- Providing technical leadership and review support;
- Developing test plans and procedures for verification and validation of system requirements;
- Co-ordinating and supporting integration and testing activities;
- Preparing support documentation throughout all phases of a project;
- Supporting investigations and troubleshooting issues as they arise;
- Working with project managers and business stakeholders to ensure project schedules and budgets are maintained while accomplishing project deliverables; and
- Supporting project managers and the business-development team with cost estimation and proposals.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Eng/M.Eng in Engineering or equivalent;
- 5+ years relevant experience;
- Strong experience with requirements engineering;
- Knowledge and experience in the design, analysis, integration and/or test of space systems and/or products;
- Experience with design, development, engineering analysis, integration, and test;
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office, including MS Project and MS Visio;
- Experience working with customers, subcontractors and vendors;
- Highly motivated team player with excellent communication skills, initiative, superior problem solving skills, the ability to prioritize tasks and willingness to learn and adapt;
- Deadline oriented with an ability to manage multiple tasks and projects concurrently;
- Capable of working under pressure to meet time critical deadlines; and
- Able to obtain federal government security clearance.
- Experience in the space industry working with customers such as the Canadian Space Agency,
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration and/or the European Space Agency;
- Experience with camera and/or lidar products;
- Experience with project management practices
- Ability to code in Matlab, Python and/or VBA.