WE’LL TAKE YOU THERE
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we’re leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We’re fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
We’re on the hunt for a Mechanical Engineer on our Robotics & Space Operations team at our Kanata office.
With 40 years of operational experience and proven performance on the iconic Canadarm programs including Space Shuttle and International Space Station robotics and operations support, our Robotics & Space Operations team has 100% mission success in making space dreams come true.
As part of the Opto-Mechanical Team, you will define components of mechanical assemblies to ensure that the final product products meets or exceeds the customer’s requirements and ensure that the mechanical solutions are reliable, cost-effective and meet product functional requirements.
As one of our Mechanical Engineers you will use a series of advanced software tools for 3D design and simulation to predict product behavior in space. The Intermediate Mechanical Engineer has a thorough understanding of packaging techniques, heat transfer and thermal management, structural mechanics and dynamics and hardware design and fabrication techniques. In addition, you will be responsible for Bills of Material, Mass Budgets and providing support to manufacturing and mechanical testing activities.
- Represent the mechanical team on technical matters in on-going projects
- Guide and train less experienced staff on technical matters in design and simulation
- Apply engineering principles to solve complex technical challenges
- Evaluate opto-mechanical system performances at both the component and system levels via modeling and experimental methods.
- Perform structural analyses (classical hand calculations and finite element analysis)
- Perform thermal analyses
- Prepare mass budgets
- Prepare analysis reports
- Prepare part drawings, assembly drawings and Bills of Material (BoM) for manufacture and assembly.
- Monitor and support operations of component suppliers
- Support integration and testing (during the design and manufacturing phases)
- Prepare test procedures
- Conduct tests and prepare test reports
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Demonstrated experience with robust mechanical component and packaging design solutions, including vibration analysis and testing, structural and thermal analysis
- Experience in military/aerospace environments
- CAD expertise and experience in SolidWorks and/or NX will be an asset
- Demonstrated experience with thermal and structural analysis tools, specifically Ansys and/or
- NASTRAN will be an asset
- 4-8 years of relevant of experience
We’re a dream team of purpose-driven, collaborative and passionate people, and we are constantly looking for others to join #TeamMDA to ignite new and innovative approaches to problem-solving that push us forward to improve life on and above Earth. If you’re excited to expand our place in space and driven to inspire the next generation, we’ll take you there.
We have entered a new era of exploration and development, and MDA welcomes all who yearn to suit up and be part of it. An equal opportunity employer prizing diversity, integrity and collaboration, we are committed to growing MDA’s and Canada’s leadership in this next golden age.
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace