MDA develops and delivers advanced surveillance and intelligence solutions, defence and maritime systems, radar geospatial imagery, space robotics, satellite antennas, and communication subsystems.
For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we’ll take you there.
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and Geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we’re leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We’re fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
We’re on the hunt for a Mechanical Project Engineer on our Robotics and Space Operation team at our Brampton office.
With 40 years of operational experience and proven performance on the iconic Canadarm programs including Space Shuttle and International Space Station robotics and operations support, our Robotics & Space Operations team has 100% mission success in making space dreams come true.
As our Mechanical Project Engineer you will:
- Lead and coordinate day-to-day execution of the multi-disciplinary project team, in support of the Program Manager, to meet technical, schedule requirements and budget constraints.
- Apply and organize assigned resources to execute the work scope. Ensure shortages or conflicts are identified to the Program Manager.
- Ensure ongoing project team coordination and communication, especially across disciplines, to ensure full buy-in to project objectives. Work to resolve any issues and ensure team buy-in.
- Coordinate project activities with key support resources, including Systems Lead, Technical Leads, Back End resources (e.g. Ops Coordinator, Shipping, Manufacturing, Buyers), etc.
- MAIT coordination including generation of test plans and procedures, the coordination of GSE (design, procurement, assembly) and test facilities, the timely release of documents and test implementation. This may be in support of Systems, I&T, and/or Software Lead.
- Identify and manage customer and program risks and opportunities including prioritization, mitigation, escalation, and resolution.
- Support Program Manager to negotiate, discuss and reach agreement with the customer with respect to key requirements and objectives of the program, as well as the funding, resources and methods required. Where there are disconnects, ensure the Program Manager is aware and that there is consistency of approach within the team.
- Support non-labour management, including monitoring Planning Engine generation, etc. Liaise with subcontractors and suppliers, via Contracts and Buyers, to ensure non-labour is forecast, committed, and received to meet project timelines and cost objectives.
- Support the Program Manager with control of the program through a process of regular program reviews, design reviews and audits, staff meetings and other program meetings. Provide technical guidance, direction and decision-making to the program team.
- Support preparation of detailed schedule to track program progress, including assessments of costs to date and estimates to complete and develop work-around plans as required to achieve cost and schedule objectives. This is done with the Program Manager and PP&C resources.
- Support preparation for monthly program reviews and, as required, briefings to senior management to maintain visibility of the program throughout the organization.
Interested candidates should have a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or related field and 3-5 years of post-graduate experience in the Aerospace industry.
- Experience with team leadership, task estimating and monitoring. Familiarity with Earned Value Methodology. Experience with development work and risk management in engineering application development. Experience with the complete project life cycle.
- Self-motivated with good interpersonal skills and conflict management skills; able to motivate a team. Willingness to work with external stakeholders. Aptitude for creative and innovative thinking required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
We’re a dream team of purpose-driven, collaborative and passionate people, and we are constantly looking for others to join #TeamMDA to ignite new and innovative approaches to problem-solving that push us forward to improve life on and above Earth. If you’re excited to expand our place in space and driven to inspire the next generation, we’ll take you there.
We have entered a new era of exploration and development, and MDA welcomes all who yearn to suit up and be part of it. An equal opportunity employer prizing diversity, integrity and collaboration, we are committed to growing MDA’s and Canada’s leadership in this next golden age.
Successful candidates must obtain and hold security clearance at the reliability status level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program (CGP) and ITAR.
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at all locations. As a team member of MDA, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection through competitive health care including; extended healthcare and flexible drug plans, dental and vision benefits, disability income protection, life insurance, group retirement savings plans; and an employee and family assistance program.
MDA is an equal opportunity employer prizing diversity and inclusion. We are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity. If you require assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please feel free to notify us.
Benefits: Extended health care
Schedule: 8 hour shift
COVID-19 Hiring Update: Strengthening our workforce is more important than ever to meet our customers’ mission-critical needs. We are continuing to hire many talented people, and we are closely monitoring COVID-19 to ensure safe hiring practices are used
Experience: mechanical project mgmt: 3 years (Preferred)
Work remotely: Yes, temporarily due to COVID-19