MDA develops and delivers advanced surveillance and intelligence solutions, defence and maritime systems, radar geospatial imagery, space robotics, satellite antennas, and communication subsystems. From locations across Canada, MDA’s global reach and heritage serving international markets with innovative and iconic solutions for space and terrestrial applications is unparalleled.
Innovation in Space and Defence
MDA has successfully exported its made-in-Canada solutions for more than four decades, and is poised to capture synergies across its associated companies to expand its capabilities in both traditional and developing markets. MDA is committed to delivering innovation and value in next-generation space exploration, Earth observation, space awareness, and defence systems.
The new space economy is based on agility, rapid technology development and harnessing capital to turn commitments into reality, generating benefits for humanity as well as a return on investment. MDA’s 1,900 future-focused employees are working together to turn ideas into the products, services, systems, and solutions that make a better world.
Please review the job details below.
The Electronics Technologist provides support to engineering and manufacturing in the assembly, integration and test of MDA Visions, Systems and Sensors products. Responsibilities include system installation, assembly, testing, troubleshooting, calibration, configuration, system and integration.
Being a dynamic position means that the workdays are always evolving, challenging and motivating. This position will appeal to a person who is well organized, who is detail-oriented and who enjoys working as part of a multidisciplinary team to deliver excellent service. If you’re that person, then this may be the perfect role for you!
How you will contribute
- Prepare engineering, prototype and/or demonstration systems for demonstration and/or delivery
- Prepare, review and revise acceptance and checkout test procedures for deliverable hardware
- Develop production, assembly and parts list drawings
- Perform integration and testing activities on breadboard, prototype, engineering and production hardware and software
- Integrate mechanical and optical assemblies including bonding of optical mirrors and prisms.
- Perform alignment of optical assemblies
- Conduct acceptance and checkout procedures on deliverable hardware
- Ensure completeness of documentation for mechanical and electrical assemblies
- Design and document test fixtures, and test setups
- Collaborate with engineering disciplines, other technologists and assembly personnel.
- Maintain records of all test data, inspections and daily activities.
- Perform general technical, engineering and lab duties as required
- Minimum associates degree in technology or similar field and 2-5 years of engineering design experience or a bachelor’s degree in engineering technology or similar.
- Degree from an ABET accredited college or university desired.
What You Need
- Familiarity with mechanical assembly procedures and tools including; torque wrenches, 3D printers, basic metalworking tools, measuring instruments, etc.,
- Knowledge and familiarity with a broad range of electrical lab and test equipment and tools such as oscilloscopes, multi-meters, cameras, basic laser test equipment, PC’s, power supplies, etc
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- CAD and SolidWorks expertise
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary engineering/manufacturing environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Curiosity is encouraged
- Experience with optical subassemblies and/or optical mirrors and prisms would be considered an asset
- Previous experience or desire to manage a lab environment would be considered an asset
- Previous experience or desire to be responsible for facilities management would be considered an asset
The successful candidate must be able to work in Canada and obtain clearance under the Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP).
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company’s retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.