For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we’ll take you there. Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we're leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we’ll take you there.
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we’re leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We’re fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
We’re on the hunt for a Member of Technical Staff/Opto-Electronic Engineer on our Robotics and Space Operations team at our Kanata Ontario office.
With 40 years of operational experience and proven performance on the iconic Canadarm programs including Space Shuttle and International Space Station robotics and operations support, our Robotics & Space Operations team has 100% mission success in making space dreams come true. As The Opto-Electronic Engineer is responsible for defining, analyzing, developing and verifying optical chains, opto-elctronic interfaces and electronic signal processing across a broad family of camera and laser products.
- Applying engineering knowledge to large and/or complex projects in the design, development, test, integration, verification, validation and operation of complex, specialized products and/or technologies
- Collaborating with project managers and project team members to develop and verify opto-eletronic requirements
- Driving the development of opto-electronic architecture, design and interface definition
- Performing trade studies, analyses and modeling in support of design engineering and development
- Creating and maintaining optical-link budgets
- Identifying, assessing and handling project risks related to opto-electronics
- Developing test plans and procedures for verification and validation of opto-electronic requirements
- Preparing support documentation throughout all phases of a project
- Supporting investigations and troubleshooting issues as they arise
- Supporting project managers and the business-development team with cost estimation and proposal preparation
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s/Master’s or PhD in Engineering or equivalent
- Experience with laser systems, optics, opto-electronic design and signal processing
- Experience with atmospheric-channel modeling
- Knowledge and experience in the design, analysis, integration and/or test of mission critical space systems and/or products
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office, including MS Project and MS Visio
- Experience working with customers, subcontractors and vendors, technical and business relationship engagements
- Highly motivated team player with excellent communication skills, initiative, superior problem solving skills, the ability to prioritize tasks and willingness to learn and adapt
- Deadline oriented with an ability to manage multiple tasks and projects concurrently
- Capable of working under pressure to meet time critical deadlines
- Able to obtain a Federal Government Security Clearance (minimum Secret Level II)
- Experience in the space industry working with customers such as the Canadian Space Agency, National Aeronautics and Space Administration and/or the European Space Agency
We’re a dream team of purpose-driven, collaborative and passionate people, and we are constantly looking for others to join #TeamMDA to ignite new and innovative approaches to problem-solving that push us forward to improve life on and above Earth. If you’re excited to expand our place in space and driven to inspire the next generation, we’ll take you there.
We have entered a new era of exploration and development, and MDA welcomes all who yearn to suit up and be part of it. An equal opportunity employer prizing diversity, integrity and collaboration, we are committed to growing MDA’s and Canada’s leadership in this next golden age.
Successful candidates must obtain and hold security clearance at the Secret level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program (CGP) and ITAR.
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at all locations. As a team member of MDA, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection through competitive health care including; extended healthcare and flexible drug plans, dental and vision benefits, disability income protection, life insurance, group retirement savings plans; and an employee and family assistance program.
MDA is an equal opportunity employer prizing diversity and inclusion. We are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity. If you require assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please feel free to notify us.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: Strengthening our workforce is more important than ever to meet our customers’ mission-critical needs. We are continuing to hire many talented people, and we are closely monitoring COVID-19 to ensure safe hiring practices are used. This includes limiting onsite candidate interviews and prioritizing video interviews.
Bachelors or better.
Bachelors or better.
Masters or better.
PhD or better.