Engineering student – Mechanical Manufacturing and Alignment
For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we will take you there!
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we are leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We are fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
We’re on the hunt for a motivated and talented Engineering Student in our Mechanical Production and Alignment department at our Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue office. This is a 4 month term (with a possibility of 8 months), starting in September 2023.
Overall, the successful candidate would be treated similar to a new graduate joining our company, where tasks will be assigned relative to the level of schooling and experience achieved to date.
The successful candidate will be under the supervision of the Production Manager & a Senior Engineer and teamed with the Alignment Engineers and Technicians. The Alignment Engineer student will participate in alignment activities related to the AIT of antenna and satellite products.
As our Engineering Student, you will:
- Define alignment references and provide ICD information (customer requirement);
- Provide input into alignment and TOB project proposals (Technical Review);
- Document lessons learned;
- Prepare measurement files using Spatial Analyzer software;
- Support the design of MGSE (mechanical ground support equipment) alignments;
- Promote personal and product safety;
- Promote good alignment practices both internally and externally;
- Monitor measuring instruments and calibration of these instruments;
- Document alignment processes;
- Improve alignment processes by automating activities as much as possible (development of software or spreadsheets);
- Plan and coordinate alignment activities for each project;
- Write the alignment procedures and the different MPS (Manufacturing process standard)
- Support NCR follow-ups as needed;
- Perform measurement data analysis (calculation matrices, data comparison and validation);
- Write alignment reports.
Experience and skills required :
- Interested candidates should be working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent with two (2) years completed.
Desirable skills :
- Experience in GD&T, alignment and metrology;
- In-depth knowledge of math and matrix manipulation;
- Good knowledge of software (Spatial Analyzer, V-STARS, Aicon 3D Studi);
- Good knowledge of trigonometry;
- Knowledge of Polyworks or 3DCS an asset;
- Knowledge of alignment and metrology required;
- Proficiency with NX;
- Creative and innovative;
- Good synthesis skills;
- Leadership and good interpersonal skills.
Please upload a copy of both your Resume and your Transcript when you apply.
Comments/Special Considerations :
Successful candidates must obtain and hold security clearance at the reliability status level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program (CGP) and ITAR.
Equal Opportunity Statement :
MDA is an equal opportunity employer prizing diversity and inclusion. We are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity. If you require assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please feel free to notify us.
COVID Statement :
COVID-19 Hiring Update: Strengthening our workforce is more important than ever to meet our customers’ mission-critical needs. We are continuing to hire many talented people, and we are closely monitoring COVID-19 to ensure safe hiring practices are used. This includes limiting onsite candidate interviews and prioritizing video interviews.