WE’LL TAKE YOU THERE
For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we’ll take you there.
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we’re leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We’re fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
We’re on the hunt for a Digital Payload System Architect on our Satellite systems team at our Montreal office.
As the leading global independent commercial supplier of antennas, payloads, and electronics for communication and radar satellites, our team has successfully contributed to hundreds of missions in the past 60 years. With an extensive heritage in a wide range of solutions delivered to customers globally, our Satellite Systems team continues to grow and evolve on the ground and in the stars.
We’re a dream team of purpose-driven, collaborative and passionate people, and we are constantly looking for others to join #TeamMDA to ignite new and innovative approaches to problem-solving that push us forward to improve life on and above Earth. If you’re excited to expand our place in space and driven to inspire the next generation, we’ll take you there.
We have entered a new era of exploration and development, and MDA welcomes all who yearn to suit up and be part of it. An equal opportunity employer prizing diversity, integrity and collaboration, we are committed to growing MDA’s and Canada’s leadership in this next golden age.
The main role is to develop and design communication satellite digital payload architectures per customers’ end needs. Perform payload system budgets, flow down requirements and specify RF and digital transponder equipment. Establish contractual compliance through on-ground and in-orbit spacecraft testing.
Work includes proposal and program efforts, front end design, detailed analyses and development, digital channelize and on board processing design specification, evaluation of Payload throughput and link budgets for multi-beam systems, integration and testing of the end product.
The Intermediate/Senior Communication Systems Engineer is responsible for design, analysis, implementation, optimization and enhancement of end-to-end communication digital payload systems and/or subsystem elements related to the system architecture.
- Support/lead technical projects and end-to-end communications systems engineering activities using digital transponder providing flexibility, and connectivity.
- Support the design of communication satellite Payloads from conventional RF bent pipe payloads to digital on board processing payloads.
- Generate/support system requirements definition and subsystem specifications for RF and digital equipment, including the following: Digital channel processor specifications, Direct Radiating Array (DRA) Antenna, High capacity multiple spot beam systems, Flexible payload including Multi-Port Amplifier
- Perform requirement analysis and system trade studies.
- Perform link budget calculation and evaluate satellite throughput.
- Generate and supervise methods, standards, plans, and procedures for systems engineering tools and systems tests for payload with digital channel processing.
Support design reviews.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics or equivalent.
- This position requires a minimum of 3 to 7 years of experience in digital equipment and signal processing, the knowledge of RF and system payload will be considered favorably.
- Demonstrated experience in leading multi-disciplinary engineering teams is desired.
- Excellent communication, technical writing, and oral presentation skills. English required, French fluency would be an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong work ethic and self-motivation.
- Strong analytic, technical and problem solving skills.