For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we’ll take you there. Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we're leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we’ll take you there.
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we’re leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We’re fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
We’re on the hunt for a Mechanical Design of Space Products on our Satellite systems team at our Montreal office.
As the leading global independent commercial supplier of antennas, payloads, and electronics for communication and radar satellites, our team has successfully contributed to hundreds of missions in the past 60 years. With an extensive heritage in a wide range of solutions delivered to customers globally, our Satellite Systems team continues to grow and evolve on the ground and in the stars.
We’re a dream team of purpose-driven, collaborative and passionate people, and we are constantly looking for others to join #TeamMDA to ignite new and innovative approaches to problem-solving that push us forward to improve life on and above Earth. If you’re excited to expand our place in space and driven to inspire the next generation, we’ll take you there.
We have entered a new era of exploration and development, and MDA welcomes all who yearn to suit up and be part of it. An equal opportunity employer prizing diversity, integrity and collaboration, we are committed to growing MDA’s and Canada’s leadership in this next golden age.
As a Mechanical Designer of Space Products, you will work with a multidisciplinary engineering team to develop antennas or structures used on state-of-the-art satellites. As part of one or more project teams, and under the supervision of an experienced engineer, you will be responsible for the design of our customized space products for international customers. From the bidding phase through to detailed definition, you will define the components of the mechanical assemblies to ensure that the final product meets the specific needs of the customer and can survive the harsh conditions of the space environment. To define the product, you will use a set of advanced software such as simulation and 3D design software to model concepts and predict product behavior. You may be involved in the development of mass budgets and provide support to the manufacturing and mechanical testing of hardware typically performed at MDA. You may also be called upon to support the research and development of new high-performance concepts and to follow up with international component suppliers. As a designer, you will be responsible for the coordination of all activities related to the design to ensure the smooth progress of the project.
- Design mechanical components of antennas, payloads, or space electronics units.
- Understand the customer’s requirements
- Propose concepts that meet the requirements
- Select/design components according to constraints
- Integrate concepts from electrical, material, structural and thermal engineering disciplines into a 3D model
- Develop/review manufacturing drawings, assembly and parts lists
- Evaluate system costs, establish schedules
- Monitor component suppliers’ activities
- Support integration and testing of components into higher level assemblies (during design and manufacturing phases)
- Develop mass budgets
- Present concepts to the customer
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering or other equivalent
- Ability to work in a team
- 0 to 15 years experience in mechanical design
- Good communication skills
- Knowledge of MS Word, MS PowerPoint and MS Excel
- Bilingual (English/French)
- Experience in mechanical design
- Knowledge of geometric tolerancing, drawing standards
- Knowledge of CAD design (NX, Creo or Catia)
- Knowledge of the space industry