For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we’ll take you there. Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we're leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We’re fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
We’re on the hunt for a Mechanical designer in electronic encapsulation of space products on our Satellite systems team at our Montreal office.
As the leading global independent commercial supplier of antennas, payloads, and electronics for communication and radar satellites, our team has successfully contributed to hundreds of missions in the past 60 years. With an extensive heritage in a wide range of solutions delivered to customers globally, our Satellite Systems team continues to grow and evolve on the ground and in the stars.
We’re a dream team of purpose-driven, collaborative and passionate people, and we are constantly looking for others to join #TeamMDA to ignite new and innovative approaches to problem-solving that push us forward to improve life on and above Earth. If you’re excited to expand our place in space and driven to inspire the next generation, we’ll take you there.
We have entered a new era of exploration and development, and MDA welcomes all who yearn to suit up and be part of it. An equal opportunity employer prizing diversity, integrity and collaboration, we are committed to growing MDA’s and Canada’s leadership in this next golden age.
As a member of the mechanical design technical staff for space product electronics equipment, you will be responsible for the mechanical design of a wide variety of modules that support and protect electronic circuits in the harsh space environment in which satellites operate. As part of a commercially competitive, multi-disciplinary team, you will be responsible for the computer design of modules and other mechanical components to meet performance and quality requirements, coordinating the mechanical design effort to integrate requirements from all disciplines into your designs. You will need to define the interconnections/interfaces with the PCBs made from different substrates that can be used in space. The designs of your electronic packages/units must be able to survive shock and high vibration environments, as well as thermal and hostile radiation environments in space while performing at the desired level electrically. Under the supervision of a colleague, from the bidding phase to delivery, you will be expected to innovate by supporting preliminary concepts, preliminary and detailed design, assembly documentation and integration.
- Through the various design phases, design mechanically by computer-aided design (CAD), space optoelectronic unit packages and their mechanical components in a multidisciplinary team, taking into account performance, environmental, quality, cost and schedule requirements
- Brainstorm in teams to solve design problems by integrating the constraints of the different disciplines involved in the development of space electronics products.
- Assist in the definition of PCB and unit interfaces
- Produce the documentation defining the product as well as the one required for its manufacture, assembly and integration.
- Establish mass budgets for all components of the electronic unit
Minimum qualifications required:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, mechatronics engineering or other equivalent
- Ability to work in a team environment
- 0 to 5 years of experience in mechanical design
- Knowledge of optoelectronics
- Good communication skills
- Knowledge of MS Word, MS PowerPoint and MS Excel
- Bilingual (English/French)
- Experience in the field of mechanical design in electronic encapsulation
- Knowledge of geometric tolerancing, drawing standards
- Knowledge of CAD design (NX, Creo or Catia)
- Knowledge of the space industry