Satellite Systems Platform Specialist
For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we’ll take you there.
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we’re leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We’re fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
We’re on the hunt for a Satellite Systems Platform Specialist on our Satellite systems team at our Montreal office.
As the leading global independent commercial supplier of antennas, payloads, and electronics for communication and radar satellites, our team has successfully contributed to hundreds of missions in the past 60 years. With an extensive heritage in a wide range of solutions delivered to customers globally, our Satellite Systems team continues to grow and evolve on the ground and in the stars.
We’re a dream team of purpose-driven, collaborative and passionate people, and we are constantly looking for others to join #TeamMDA to ignite new and innovative approaches to problem-solving that push us forward to improve life on and above Earth. If you’re excited to expand our place in space and driven to inspire the next generation, we’ll take you there.
We have entered a new era of exploration and development, and MDA welcomes all who yearn to suit up and be part of it. An equal opportunity employer prizing diversity, integrity and collaboration, we are committed to growing MDA’s and Canada’s leadership in this next golden age.
Provide RF and Electrical system design, performance analysis, implementation and testing in support of MDA Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) or Telecommunication satellite related to Telemetry, Command and Ranging, Bus Power & Thermal and Attitude Control Systems.
Depending on the job function, the Systems engineer will perform some subset of the following depending on the background and experience of the candidate.
- The Satellite Systems Platform and Payload Specialist provides Telemetry, Command and Ranging, Bus Power & thermal and Attitude Control Systems subsystems architecture design and RF performance analysis during the satellite life cycle, including bids, requirement definition, project implementation, testing phases along with R&D activities in support of satellite or processes improvement.
- Provide support to and/or lead payload or platform design activities.
- Monitor MDA’s platform team and partner suppliers and join an integrated product team involving travels at MDA’s partner facility outside Canada (i.e. LA, California USA) for the duration of the program.
- Participate in the Satellite electrical and RF performance evaluation.
- Write engineering documentations: system requirements, SOC, verification and validation matrix, design description, systems budgets, equipment specifications, test requirements, RFD/RFW.
- Perform system worst case analysis, inputs and support to program reviews: EQSR, SRR, PDR, CDR.
- Support Satellite/ Platform assembly Integration and Test. Attend test reviews: TRR, TRB, DRB, and NCR’s.
- Support Satellite/Platform testing: EGSE, Test supervision, data analysis.
- Support Satellite tests at MDA or at S/C supplier premises.
- Support In-Orbit Test (IOT).
- Technical monitoring of major subcontractors.
- Support to DC & RF harness design, Platform and Payload layout.
- Write up subsystem Operations Manual.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field (electrical, aerospace engineering) 5+ years of relevant experience
- Previous design and AIT experience with GEO and LEO satellite systems
- Understanding of the space environment and orbit mechanics
- Strong understanding of aerospace systems and engineering fundamentals
- Relevant Experience with testing Telemetry, Command and Ranging, Power and Attitude Control Systems.
- Demonstrated capability to test RF systems and resolve problems
- Hands-on individual who can lead all systems integration processes
- Experience with qualification and acceptance testing of new designs
- High degree of attention to detail
- Demonstrated capability to efficiently work with little to no supervision
- Ability to distill complex problems to fundamentals to solve with analysis, similarity, or creativity
- Experience creating or using models and/or simulation software
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience leading a technical team
- Support the spacecraft operations team in critical phases
Successful candidates must obtain and hold security clearance at the reliability status level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program (CGP) and ITAR.
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at all locations. As a team member of MDA, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection through competitive health care including extended healthcare and flexible drug plans, dental and vision benefits, disability income protection, life insurance, group retirement savings plans, and an employee and family assistance program.
Equal opportunity statement:
MDA is an equal opportunity employer prizing diversity and inclusion. We are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity. If you require assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please feel free to notify us.
COVID-19 Hiring Update: Strengthening our workforce is more important than ever to meet our customers’ mission-critical needs. We are continuing to hire many talented people, and we are closely monitoring COVID-19 to ensure safe hiring practices are used. This includes limiting onsite candidate interviews and prioritizing video interviews.