MDA develops and delivers advanced surveillance and intelligence solutions, defence and maritime systems, radar geospatial imagery, space robotics, satellite antennas, and communication subsystems.
Innovation in Space and Defence
MDA develops and delivers advanced surveillance and intelligence solutions, defence and maritime systems, radar geospatial imagery, space robotics, satellite antennas, and communication subsystems. From locations across Canada, MDA’s global reach and heritage serving international markets with innovative and iconic solutions for space and terrestrial applications is unparalleled.
MDA has successfully exported its made-in-Canada solutions for more than four decades, and is poised to capture synergies across its associated companies to expand its capabilities in both traditional and developing markets. MDA is committed to delivering innovation and value in next-generation space exploration, Earth observation, space awareness, and defence systems.
The new space economy is based on agility, rapid technology development and harnessing capital to turn commitments into reality, generating benefits for humanity as well as a return on investment. MDA’s 1,900 future-focused employees are working together to turn ideas into the products, services, systems, and solutions that make a better world.
Please review the job details below.
For more than three decades, human spaceflight has been supported by advanced robotics developed by MDA. We have combined complex robotics with control software to develop the Space Shuttle’s Canadarm and the Mobile Servicing System for the International Space Station. Leveraging our expertise in robotic technology and space-borne sensing systems, MDA is developing sophisticated systems for on-orbit servicing of satellites and planetary missions to explore the Moon and Mars.
On Earth we are taking our experience in space robotics into new areas of advanced robotics for nuclear, medical, industrial, and mining applications.
MDA is currently seeking an Engineer/MTS to carry out simulations, control systems & operations engineering work for mission operations design and analysis and real time flight support.
The successful applicant will participate in the end-to-end mission design and analysis including:
- Kinematic analysis and path planning
- Robotic interface contact dynamics modeling
- Development of mission-specific display and control parameters
- Dynamic simulation and contingency operations analysis
- Human-in-the-loop simulation assessments
- Participation in real-time operations support of space station assembly missions involving Canadarm2 and Dextre
- Review of on-orbit procedures
- Flight system tracking and performance monitoring
- On-orbit Off-Nominal/Anomaly investigations
- Frequent customer interaction, particularly with mission operations staff at the NASA Mission Operations Directorate at the Johnson Space Center in Houston
- Participation in crew and mission controller training as classroom instructor or as Subject Matter Expert
Qualifications and Experience:
- Interested candidates must possess a Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, Computer Systems Engineering, or Applied Mathematics and a Master’s degree (preferably in one of these areas).
- Four (4) years of post-graduate professional experience in a similar position are required.
- Knowledge of robotic systems, and operations analysis is an asset.
- Familiarity with Matlab/Simulink and Unix-based operating systems would also be a benefit.
- Knowledge of the MSS system and its operation is preferred.
- Excellent verbal, written communication skills are essential to this position
All candidates must be able to obtain CGP and ITAR clearance.
MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting diversity in the workplace.
With respect to the Accessibilities for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Inc. is proud to provide accommodation(s) during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodations, you are encouraged to notify us.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company’s retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.