WE’LL TAKE YOU THERE
For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we’ll take you there.
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we’re leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We’re fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Are you ready to launch the next stage of your career in the new space economy? We would love to hear from you!
We are on the hunt for a Principal Engineer/Member of Technical Staff – SoftwareDevelopment on our Geointelligence team at our Richmond, BC office.
Our mission is to turn data into insight. From detecting changes in fragile ecosystems to monitoring northern ice floes and shipping routes, our near-real time data of Earth observation and the environment makes our Geointelligence team a leader in geospatial imagery, ground stations, enterprise geospatial systems and defence programs. As our Principal Engineer, you will help define how we develop software at MDA. Collaborate with Technology Strategy, Program Management and Engineering defining software development direction. Strategically evaluate the applicable software development methodologies and tooling best suited to the program landscape, defining standardized methods and tooling supported by Geointelligence Engineering. Forecast software industry trends, best practice, and their applicability to MDA Software Development.
You’re someone who wants to see the impact of your work making a difference every day. You understand how to use data to make decisions. You are someone who finds passion in the craft, someone constantly seeking improvement and a better way to solve tough problems. You have a passion for producing the highest quality code as well as leading others to do the same. You are someone who either has built or is passionate about building scalable, reliable systems that our customers can rely on.
You are someone with high standards who will push us to be better, and who will take pride in MDA like we do. You have delivered challenging technical solutions at scale. You have led software engineering teams and earned the respect of talented software developers. You are equally happy talking algorithms and data structures as you are brainstorming about agile development process and technology career development. You want to be in the mix technically while providing leadership to your teams.
- As a Software Development Leader:
- Provides software engineering leadership in support of MDA corporate goals.
- He or she projects vision and leadership for how to accomplish software and engineering given the unique business opportunities of Geointelligence.
- Working with the Director of Product Strategy and the Director of Engineering, discover the potential that different technologies and methods can offer for MDA software development.
- Creates and fosters strategic high-leverage research programs or projects with external agencies and customers that open significant new opportunities and enable MDA business success.
- Enables the exploitation of business opportunities through development of technology and/or application of technology.
- As a Principal Software Engineer:Successfully applies domain knowledge, technical experience, and an understanding of required processes to complete complex, challenging, and ambiguous assignments. As an expert in the field, uses professional concepts to resolve critical issues and broad design matters.
- Creates solutions to customer problems, and demonstrates initiative to transition from Proof of
- Concept to a commercial offering.
- Works on issues that affect selling success, or that address future concepts, products or technologies.
- Develops and defines common software development methodologies.
- Develops and defines common software technologies and tools to support development
- Define software best practice and software quality standards
- Coach and Mentor developers, helping them to improve their skills and grow their careers
- Defines or consults with other engineers to define software development plans for MDA programs
- Collaborates with programs to define development environments and automated CI/CD pipelines.
- Collaborates with programs to define automation test strategies.
- Provides software and other technical guidance to programs when assigned.