Planet designs build and operate the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet’s data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world. We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
We are looking for a Satellite Image Quality Engineer and provide an open-ended contract, full-time, 40 hours a week.
This role will be part of Planet’s Image Quality team which is responsible for end-to-end validation of our satellite imagery products.
Typical tasks will include:
- Developing processes and tools to evaluate key performance indicators for imagery products derived from all our satellites (RapidEye, Doves, and SkySat)
- Monitor trends and detect issues and collaborate with other teams to resolve them timely
- Support verification and validation testing for new products as well as product updates.
Your contributions will help us deliver top quality imagery to customers worldwide and improve our data processing pipelines. If you are passionate about space, imagery and working with an international world-class team, then Planet is the right place for you.
- Familiarity with remote sensing data
- Experience with digital image processing techniques
- Good theoretical knowledge of radiometric and geometric calibration and validation techniques for optical sensors
- Knowledge of the electromagnetic spectrum, geodesy, and photogrammetry
- Knowledge of signal processing, algorithm development, statistical analysis
- Skill in Matlab, IDL or similar tools for rapid prototyping
- Familiarity with Linux command-line and scripting
- Extensive experience writing production code in Python (preferably Python3)
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to think independently
- 4+ years of experience in a similar role
- Knowledge of radiative transfer, optics, detector operability, orbital mechanics,
- Significant experience of validating remote sensing products (optical sensors) and complex remote sensing data processing systems
- Experience with VirtualBox/Vagrant and/or Docker
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, Scrumban)
- Experience with cloud platforms such as Google Cloud or AWS; CI tools such as Gitlab CI and Jenkins
- Knowledge of GDAL and other open-source GIS tools
- Knowledge or Experience of modern Software Development paradigms or concepts like Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration, etc
- Plenty of room for personal growth and professional development
- A highly talented, passionate and international team that revolutionizes the space industry
- A modern working environment with flexible working hours
- Free drinks, vegetables, fruits, and snacks, plus company lunch
- Health promotion program and regular team events
- Regular in-house massages
- Internal referral program
- Additional holidays & volunteering time off
Be sure to include a cover letter to let us know why you think you’d be a good fit and feel free to mention anyone you have previously worked with at Planet.
We are committed to building a diverse team and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds.