MDA develops and delivers advanced surveillance and intelligence solutions, defence and maritime systems, radar geospatial imagery, space robotics, satellite antennas, and communication subsystems. From locations across Canada, MDA’s global reach and heritage serving international markets with innovative and iconic solutions for space and terrestrial applications is unparalleled.
Innovation in Space and Defence
MDA has successfully exported its made-in-Canada solutions for more than four decades, and is poised to capture synergies across its associated companies to expand its capabilities in both traditional and developing markets. MDA is committed to delivering innovation and value in next-generation space exploration, Earth observation, space awareness, and defence systems.
The new space economy is based on agility, rapid technology development and harnessing capital to turn commitments into reality, generating benefits for humanity as well as a return on investment. MDA’s 1,900 future-focused employees are working together to turn ideas into the products, services, systems, and solutions that make a better world.
Please review the job details below.
MDA UK is a growing and dynamic company based on the Harwell Campus in Oxfordshire. We are a subsidiary of MDA, an internationally recognized leader in space robotics, space sensors, and antennas. MDA UK provides support to our European based customers as well as specialising in the UK development of space qualified metrology instruments, IR cameras, and other intelligent sensors.
We are currently looking for an innovative, imaginative, and practically minded Mechanical Design Engineer. You will be joining a small and enthusiastic team developing instrumentation for several space missions. You will be working at the Harwell Campus, an innovative hub for science and technology advancement in the UK.
- Lead mechanical design of flight, engineering, and support hardware
- Generate and maintain 3D CAD modelling of bespoke space sensors
- Produce engineering drawings for assembly and manufacture, and define integration procedures
- Manage BOM for manufacturing and production, and deal with manufacturing supply chain
- Support assembly, integration and test of space equipment and systems
- Prepare technical documentation (design specifications, test plan, etc.), and analysis and test reports
- Define and manage mechanical requirements and defend designs during project reviews with customers (ESA, UKSA, etc.)
- ‘Own’ quality documentation relevant to the role, e.g. Declared Parts & Materials Lists, ECNs, NCRs.
- Support subcontractor coordination and activities
- Actively contribute in the writing of proposals for grant applications
- Mechanical/Aerospace/Manufacturing degree or similar.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in the space/aerospace industry
- Full product development life cycle experience from concept through to flight. Including requirement definition, design, analysis, manufacturing, assembly, integration, and testing
- Proficient in 3D Mechanical CAD with a minimum of 3 years of: –SolidWorks experience.
- Extensive knowledge of GD&T using ISO/ASME standards
- Hands on MAIT activities
- Experience with environmental testing and definition of test specifications
- Extensive knowledge of manufacturing processes to aid design for manufacturing
- Competent with MS Office package
- Proactive and hands on approach to problems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Skills considered an asset:
- Understanding of material and surface treatment for optical space systems
- Experience with ECSS standards
- Rapid prototyping techniques.
- Experience in the space sector
- Familiarity with formal configuration control methods
- Supply chain network
- Structural and thermal analysis experience and a strong desire to learn: MSc and Altair suites.
- Ability to work independently and in an agile manner.
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company’s retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.