MDA develops and delivers advanced surveillance and intelligence solutions, defence and maritime systems, radar geospatial imagery, space robotics, satellite antennas, and communication subsystems. From locations across Canada, MDA’s global reach and heritage serving international markets with innovative and iconic solutions for space and terrestrial applications is unparalleled. MDA has successfully exported its made-in-Canada solutions for more than four decades, and is poised to capture synergies across its associated companies to expand its capabilities in both traditional and developing markets. MDA is committed to delivering innovation and value in next-generation space exploration, Earth observation, space awareness, and defence systems.
Innovation in Space and Defence
The new space economy is based on agility, rapid technology development and harnessing capital to turn commitments into reality, generating benefits for humanity as well as a return on investment. MDA’s 1,900 future-focused employees are working together to turn ideas into the products, services, systems, and solutions that make a better world.
MDA UK is a growing and dynamic company based on the Harwell Campus in Oxfordshire. We are a subsidiary of MDA, an internationally recognised leader in space robotics, space sensors, and antennas. MDA UK provides support to our European based customers as well as specialising in the UK development of space qualified metrology instruments, communications solutions, and intelligent sensors.
We are looking for enthusiastic and innovative engineers with experience working in the space industry.
Are you passionate about space exploration? Do you have experience designing or building systems for the harsh space environment? If so then this is a rare chance to join a growing company with an exemplary heritage in the industry. We have exciting opportunities available to join our international team developing instrumentation for several space programmes, including lunar missions and technology demonstrators.
You will be working at the Harwell campus, an innovative hub for science and technology advancement in the UK.
The Senior Product Assurance Engineer will report to the Managing Director of MDA UK and is responsible for the overall management of MDA UK’s product assurance and quality management system from business development to customer support. This will be a hands on technical role and you will also have the ability to affect change, and improve the quality process of all the systems, services and products we produce. The successful candidate will have space industry experience and will provide direct support and guidance to business pursuits and program projects, maintaining and assuring conformance to MDA UK’s Quality System.
- Manage the development, implementation, and maintenance of required quality assurance processes and systems that will assure products and services meet program, company, customer and industry standard requirements
- Champion company processes to ensure staff understand the need for such and follow them as appropriate
- Report Quality System effectiveness to senior management and recommend improvement and modifications to existing programs and new quality programs based on industry quality practices
- Develop and manage an annual Audit Master Plan, including internal, external and customer audit activities
- Coordinate and oversee project QA/ PA activities including tailoring standard processes as appropriate for individual project needs
- Participate in project team meetings including risk reviews and significant milestone meetings.
- Lead and/or support the conduct of independent test witnessing (as required) and performance of Test Readiness Reviews (TRRs) and Test Review Boards (TRBs).
- Chair and/or participate in Change Control Boards (CCBs) and Material Review Boards (MRBs).
- Manage subcontractor/supplier qualification from a quality perspective and assure the integrity of the Approved Suppliers List is maintained.
- Lead and/or support the conduct of source or incoming inspections for materials or services.
- Maintain records on quality-related matters including Quality Reports, Corrective Action Requests, Approved Suppliers List, Discrepancy Notices/Non-Conformances, Engineering Change Notices, lessons) and action their content.
- Escalate quality matters through levels of leadership as appropriate
- Contribute to the continual improvement of MDA’s quality system including engaging in process improvement activities and performing (or supporting) process-related training.
- Support set up of company facilities: i.e. preparing new labs and cleanrooms for use in (cleanliness requirements, environment monitoring & logging, consumables, safety, etc.) and train staff on the proper use of such facilities.
- Configuration Management: Understand documentation lifecycles and control this within the company (understanding of PDM/PLM systems will be an advantage) both for Engineering Documents (CAD models/drawings, schematics, layouts, specifications ICDs) and other project level technical documentation.
- Oversee manufacturing from QA persepctive: Stock management. Works Orders & Kitting. DN/ECNs and how changes effect WO Kits/design documentation/stock. Procurement of optical/electronic/mechanical parts and assemblies. Inspection of received parts and knowledge of the Goods-In process. Management and issuing of company serial numbers and knowledge of how ERP systems work and their implementation into companies.
- Requires a degree in Science or Engineering and at least 10 years’ experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Leadership experience
- Strong experience in the implementation and/or management of Product and Service Quality Planning, Process Control Tools, Quality Systems, and Project Management
- Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong people management skills, including the ability to effectively engage with all stakeholders of company systems and processes
- Knowledge of general business procedures, as well as a sensitivity to cost and changing business needs
- Knowledge of satellite product assurance processes and the management of technical meetings
- Understanding of PDM and document lifecycles and experience in the management of such
- Experience within manufacturing & production environments such that you can control the configuration of a build and reliably provide the exact configuration of assemblies.
Skills considered an asset:
- Knowledge of ECSS-Q branch (Product Assurance)
- Advanced knowledge and use of M/ERP systems
- Full project lifecycle experience (phases A – E)
- Experience in cleanroom environments and the practices associated with their preparation and use
- Prototyping and testing experience
- Previous experience working with and implementing ISO 9001 standards
Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
MDA provides competitive compensation and benefits packages for its employees at its many locations. As a member of the MDA team, you and your qualified dependents are eligible to participate in a benefit plan that ensures a comprehensive level of protection for employees and their families through health care plans, disability income protection, life insurance, and other employee benefits. The Company’s retirement plans encourage employees to save for their future with a Company matching contribution in many locations.