Unlocking the future of space access and hypersonic flight
Reaction Engines is looking for a high calibre individual to support mechanical design of novel technology systems & products.
The candidate will be responsible for leading design work packages, assessing solutions and generating independent designs for, but not limited to, our new class of high performance propulsion system – SABRE.
The work that the Mechanical Design team carries out is dynamic and fast paced, providing each team member with the opportunity to contribute across a range of projects. The candidate must be able to integrate with the team and across the company whilst also being confident when working independently. The team works closely with peers, seniors, partners, and customers so good communication skills are vital.
This opportunity would suit someone early in their career wanting to increase their experience in a wide range of design activities and innovative technology projects.
This role attracts a competitive salary and excellent company benefits including 30 days annual leave plus public holidays, employer matching company pension scheme, life assurance and 50% off onsite childcare (for children under 3 years of age).
Principle Accountabilities & Responsibilities
This role will be supporting a multi-disciplined engineering team where you are required to provide robust solutions that can be taken from conceptual design through to full working mechanical assemblies that meets the project requirements.
To achieve this you will be responsible for your mechanical design of a series of components and assemblies:
- You will be required to work collaboratively as part of a team and support timely delivery of the projects
- You must create technical documentation and be able to clearly verify the design, by using a combination of hand calculations, simplified models and software.
- You will need to be able to generate a design specification in the form of 3D models and 2D engineering drawings for manufacture, assembly and verification.
- Preparing, presenting and reporting technical work, to peers, seniors & partners.
- Establish develop and maintain effective working relationships with all work colleagues, contractors and partnering agencies to ensure an integrated contribution to Reaction Engines’ corporate objectives
- Observe and comply with policies and procedures for Health and Safety at Work and observe and continually promote equal opportunities and customer care in compliance with organisational aims and objectives.
- Participate in learning and development activities that develop personal effectiveness and assist in improving performance in the role.
- Undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required in line with the level of responsibility of the post and in order to meet the changing needs of the organisation
- Some experience with CAD packages
- Basic understanding of engineering drawings
- Able to produce basic hand calculations to verify mechanical designs
- Experience in delivering presentation’s to key stakeholders
- SolidWorks CAD preferable
- Practical engineering and/or manufacturing experience
- Research and development prototype design
- Awareness of BS8888 and GD&T
Degree level in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent engineering experience considered
Skills and Behaviours
- Creative, innovative, who can think outside the box
- Able to work in a quick paced, creative environment
- A team player, but has the initiative when required to work alone
- Able to communicate effectively with all areas of the business
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplined team delivering a novel engineering project
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate behaviours consistent with Reaction Engines’ core values:
Please send your Curriculum Vitae and covering letter to email@example.com quoting reference “004/2020 Mechanical Design Engineer”
For all successful candidates, Reaction Engines will undertake background security checks. As part of this, we will need to confirm your identity, employment history and address history to cover the past five years as well as your nationality, immigration status and criminal record.