We are looking for people who are passionate about robotics to help us build a new generation of affordable, mass-market robots for space applications and extreme terrestrial environments. As a Mechanical Engineer at Made In Space Europe, you’ll have the opportunity to exercise your passion for robotics through designing, building, and testing the mechanical elements of robotic arms that go to space. We believe that our work is the foundation to achieving a future where the industrialisation of space gives way to humanity living throughout our solar system.
Your work will focus on building the mechanisms and structures for a robotic arm system optimized for the space environment. You will be designing 3D mechanical models, doing stress, derating and thermal analysis, optimizing mechanical design to achieve better performance and higher reliability, drawing 2D manufacturing and assembly technical drawings, selecting and acquiring necessarily components, deciding on materials and lubrication solutions, cooperate with technicians during mechanical parts machining and hardening, make assembly, performance and environmental tests of prototypes built by you, supporting the rest of the team during integration and system tests, improving and modify designs. You will be solving tribological issues common for space mechanisms, such as backslash, abrasion, derating, outgassing and thermal stresses. Together with team of mechatronics, electronics and software engineers you will integrate mechanisms with sensing, processing, commanding and executing elements of the robotic arm system.
What we are looking for in a candidate: You have demonstrated experience in designing mechanical devices and working with precise mechanisms. You have worked on at least one project from initial design to final implementation. You have experience mechanisms design, thermal and stress analysis, cooperating with machining workshops, integrating and testing systems. A professional background in the space industry is very helpful, though this role will have plenty of support from space experts within the team.
Location: Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
- B.S. in Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering, Materials Engineering or equivalent area of focus
- Demonstrated experience in thermal analysis
- Demonstrated ability to work hard, under demanding schedule
- Proficient oral and written communication skills
- Ability to develop warm peer-to-peer relationships
- Fluency in English
- 3+ years of professional experience
Preferred skills and experience:
- Development of precise mechanisms for terrestrial and/or space application
- Development of flight hardware for space
- Worked at least one development project, in a role required designing, integrating and testing
- Experience in CAD design
- Software Expertise: Inventor, SolidWorks, Ansys, Matlab, Word, Excel