Founded in June 2006 as a center for advanced space systems, Rocket Lab’s goal is to remove the commercial barriers to space by providing frequent launch opportunities to low orbit Earth.
Rocket Lab is rapidly expanding to meet the global demand for our commercial launch service. The Wallops Flight Facility (LC-2) is seeking passionate, highly-skilled individuals who are comfortable working in a dynamic, technically challenging environment where they will be given ownership of processes from start-to-finish. We believe that an empowered and motivated workforce has been the cornerstone of our success and will be essential to our long-term growth as we redefine how the world accesses space.
Test and Operations Mechanical Technician
The role of the Test and Operations Technician is key to enabling LC-2 in delivering launches at the highest rate. You will be working with a tight-knit team of technicians and engineers to build, test, operate and maintain critical launch systems.
If successful you will be required to complete two months training in New Zealand at Rocket Lab’s LC-1 launch facility in Mahia, New Zealand.
This role has an international travel component of at least 25% for the first 12 to 18 months.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Fit-out, assembly & installation of launch pad systems such as heavy engineering structures, mechanisms, fluid lines and associated components, electrical and control hardware and RF equipment
- Fabrication of jigs, fixtures and tooling
- Development of preventative maintenance and inspection procedures
Test & Operations
- Pressure and leak testing of fluid systems
- Precision cleaning of critical components
- Troubleshooting mechanical issues on launch pad system
- Support activities during launch –pad and vehicle integration and checkouts
- Conduct routine maintenance and upgrades of the launch systems
Health & Safety
- Ensure health and safety policies and standard operating procedures are followed
- Correct PPE is worn in designated areas
- Near misses and incidents are reported promptly
- Support launch campaigns
- Additional duties as reasonably required
Required Experience / Skills
- Previous experience in the assembly of large structures and mechanisms
- Experience in machining and fabrication
- Experience with fluid systems – pneumatic, cryogenic and/or hydraulics
- Basic understanding of pressure, temperature and flow measurement instrumentation
- Ability to read, understand and follow detailed schematics, drawings and instructions
- Strong communications skills
- Careful work ethic with an eye for detail
- Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines
Preferred Experience / Skills
- Experience using heavy equipment e.g. overhead cranes and forklifts
- Ability to work at heights and in confined spaces
- Willingness to travel international from Wallops to Auckalnd and Mahia, New Zealand when required.
- Domestic travel as required for the role.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States’ International Traffic in Arms Regulations. Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality.