Solving A Crucial Climate Challenge. MethaneSAT, LLC, an affiliate of Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is launching a new, high performance, purpose-built satellite--MethaneSAT--to map and measure oil and gas methane emissions worldwide, with the potential to assess emissions from the full range of man-made sources. The satellite will enable us to gather methane emissions data on a global scale and with data from other sources, locate and quantify these emissions. Data from MethaneSAT will help EDF reduce methane emissions by 45% by 2025 and holds the potential to help reduce the temperature of our planet by as much 0.5 degrees C by the end of the century. This could be the most impactful environmental project yet conceived.
MethaneSAT LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Environmental Defense Fund.
With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
MethaneSAT, LLC, an affiliate of Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is launching a new, high performance, purpose-built satellite—MethaneSAT—to map and measure oil and gas methane emissions worldwide, with the potential to assess emissions from the full range of man-made sources. The satellite will enable us to gather methane emissions data on a global scale and with data from other sources, locate and quantify these emissions. Data from MethaneSAT will help EDF reduce methane emissions by 45% by 2025 and holds the potential to help reduce the temperature of our planet by as much 0.5 degrees C by the end of the century. This could be the most impactful environmental project yet conceived.
The Senior Product Manager will work with our stakeholders, scientists, engineers and partners to deliver scientifically accurate and deeply impactful data products and tools for a global audience. Working across several organizations, both internal and external, you will strive to understand problems, build requirements and guide the engineering team in delivering impactful solutions. The Senior Product Manager will own and determine the roadmap for Data Platform projects and deliverables, incorporating stakeholder needs, engineering estimates and analysis of industry trends into their prioritization. Leveraging your communication, presentation and deep technical skills, you’ll present your ideas and advocate for them using research and data.
This position will report directly to the Sr. Engineering Director, Data Products for MethaneSAT, LLC, and will work closely with other MethaneSAT, LLC staff, key contractors, and EDF staff.
- Collaborate effectively with varied stakeholders to determine needs for Data Platform tools and data and distill these into technical requirements for the engineering team.
- Navigate differing needs and priorities effectively, leveraging experience and technical skills to build and execute against detailed roadmap and engineering plan-of-record.
- Work closely with Engineering Leads, EDF Advocacy and stakeholders to advocate for and roll out data products to several audiences.
- Assist EDF Advocacy by representing MethaneSAT in stakeholder engagements, including demonstrating our product offerings and presenting our roadmap and facilitating product pilots.
- Work closely with the engineering team to guide development, along with capturing, prioritizing and managing issues in the queue.
- Lead efforts on user testing, localization and internationalization by working alongside our social scientists and international affiliates.
- Be our go-to person for competitive/complimentary product research. Keep abreast of industry news and events.
- Advance diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental challenges we face. This includes fostering equitable systems and empowering diverse constituencies both internally and externally.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science or technical discipline, or equivalent experience required. MS in a science or technical discipline preferred.
- Must be a US person (citizen, green card holder); MethaneSAT, LLC is unable to offer employer-based sponsorship for this role at this time
- At least 8 years relevant professional experience with demonstrated progressive responsibility and scope, preferably product management experience.
- Strong communication skills are a must. Presentation skill and experience are required.
- Extensive experience with developing products for varying audiences is required.
- Developing product roadmaps and managing priority queues for technical products is required.
- Experience delivering software products, specifically those that present scientific data to non-technical audiences is strongly preferred.
- Some Front-End software development experience is a nice-to-have.
- Ability to translate complex science and technical information to non-technical stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to strategically and independently recommend and determine approaches to completing projects and managing processes where precedents are not available.
- Ability to apply communication skills to persuade, influence, and lead others.
- Ability to lead and collaborate with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Strong ability to work independently on a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload.
- Affinity for a fast-paced work environment.
- Demonstrate cultural awareness and the knowledge, attitude, behavior, and skills that lead to a culturally competent workplace.
- Demonstrate a commitment to continued self-assessment, learning and growth to increase and broaden culturally competent skillsets that produce effective interactions with people across diverse cultures and backgrounds. This includes the ability to adapt to cultural change.
- Demonstrated experience leading and collaborating with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience; experience with global stakeholders preferred.
- A high degree of diplomacy to manage and influence key stakeholders, teams, and new, developing partnerships.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.