Note For Candidate
This is an IT generalist opportunity onsite at The European Space Agency, training is provided plus shift allowances
IT Support Technician
The IT Support Technician will be part of an integrated team which provides 24/7 monitoring and control of Telemetry, Tracking and Command (TT&C) stations of the ESTRACK ground station network, Operational IT and Operational Control Centre services at ESA’s European Space Operations Centre in Darmstadt, Germany.
The role acts as the first point of contact for users, missions/projects and second line support teams.
Your main tasks and responsibilities as IT Support Technician will include:
- Liaise with spacecraft and mission operations engineers as well as staff on duty at other support units, ground stations and external Agencies to establish and continuously maintain a comprehensive overview on the availability of and the demand for utilization of resources provided by the ground segment facilities.
- Monitor the progress of station configurations for satellite passes through voice coordination or remote monitoring systems.
- Configure and monitor station configurations for satellite passes as well as data transmissions and performance.
- Respond immediately to any anomaly affecting operations; relevant procedures shall be initiated and 1st line maintenance activities executed as required in order to restore operations. Document and track anomalies, call out 2nd/3rd party support/escalate and follow-up on incident resolution.
- Act as first line of contact for users of critical systems.
- Actively monitor all operational IT systems, applications and networks and react immediately on potential issues or outages by:
- Logging and escalating incident tickets according to procedure;
- Identify the impacted services/users and inform all relevant parties;
- Initiate incident resolution or mitigating actions to restore the service asap;
- Call out/escalate to 2nd line support or external providers according to procedure;
- Follow-up on incident resolution/progress and inform interested parties of the status;
- Prioritise work according to criticality of systems, schedules and targets.
- Operation, fault finding and repair on the network and on active network components (CISCO) using Ethernet and TCP/IP protocols and by logging on/commanding active network components.
- In line with procedures perform contingency and scheduled re-configurations, hardware and software maintenance, test and remedial activity, so as to minimise resource impact.
- Provide round the clock cover in a rotating shift pattern, with adequate information handover between shifts.
The successful candidate should bring the following skills and experience:
- Fluency in English (spoken and written);
- A good understanding of IT Support & networking: WAN/LAN concepts, technology and troubleshooting;
- Strong service ethic – responsive and courteous when handling user calls;
- Problem Solving aptitude;
- PC literacy: MS Office Products;
- Familiarity with operational environments;