On-Board Computer and Data Systems Engineer
Finding Space & Satellite Professionals New Jobs!
As the On-Board Computer and Data Systems Engineer in the On-Board Computer & Data Handling Section at ESA/ESTEC, you will have the following responsibilities:
The On-Board Computer & Data Handling Section provides functional support to ESA projects and carries out technological research (R&D) on turn-key on-board HW Data Handling solutions with an emphasis on:
- Platform and payload data handling architectures and their building blocks (equipment/units, modules and key components);
- Units such as on-board computers, mass memories, remote terminals, instrument control units*;
- Digital and analogue signal processing electronics for payload/platform control functions;
- Front-end acquisition and processing chain electronics (except for RF payloads)
on-board data transfer interfaces, buses and associated protocols (high and low speed);
- Platform data handling functions related to security, data authentication, encryption, compression, machine learning and artificial intelligence;
- Use of microelectronics devices.
The post holder will report to the Head of Section and, within the technical fields described
above, the main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Providing technical support to ESA projects, programmes and general studies in the field of platform and payload data handling systems throughout all project phases;
- Participating in feasibility studies, project reviews and the evaluation of procurement proposals;
- Identifying critical development problems and assisting in their resolution;
- Contributing to the definition of technology development requirements and work plans for the Agency’s technology programmes;
- Defining, initiating and supporting R&D activities covering both long- and short-term needs;
- Fostering new application areas for multidisciplinary activities, with an emphasis on innovative concepts, cutting-edge technologies and system architectures;
- Laboratory activities, as required;
- Monitoring applicable scientific and technological trends and maintaining state-of-the-art expertise;
- Contributing to the dissemination of the results of the activities performed and the transfer of knowledge across the Agency
- Master or PhD in electronics, networks, telecommunications or a related field is required.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the fields of space hardware related to platform and payload data handling equipment (units, modules and boards).
- This includes the ability to design, review and simulate analogue and digital electronics for data handling units (use of FPGA/processors/micro-controllers, single-point-failure-free circuitry, failure containment techniques and use of COTS with radiation mitigation techniques).
Knowledge in the following fields will be considered an asset:
- Design and Use of Data Handling Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE);
- Design, validation and verification of AI/ML Processing Algorithm inferred on HW/SW platform(s);
- Design of electronic boards for radiation testing of analogue and digital circuitry based on COTS