Finding Space & Satellite Professionals New Jobs!
Are you an experienced Systems Engineer with experience in supporting a system that provides safety services? Are you currently bored of your current role and would like to work on challenging but exciting projects that are out of this world in a fast-paced and fun environment? If so, look no further!
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Sytems Engineer on behalf of one of the UK’s leading SATCOM companies to support their systems that provide safety services across the business.
- Supporting the systems that provide safety services, ensuring that they are meeting their required levels of availability and performance
- Leading third-line response to faults and failures and working to resolve them in a logical, methodical and efficient manner
- Managing all changes and enhancements to safety services systems, such that service availability is not compromised
- Performing regular routine health checks and monitoring of all safety services systems and responding proactively to any issues before they affect system integrity
- Working with equipment manufacturers, software suppliers and other internal and external stakeholders to define, assess and implement changes and/or enhancements to safety services
- Writing and maintaining operational documentation (including procedures, “How-To” guides and training materials) relating to safety services systems
- Keeping up-to-date with relevant developments in technology and assessing and recommending changes and/or upgrades to safety systems where appropriate
- Participation in an after-hours on-call support rota
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Degree-qualified in a relevant discipline (post-graduate qualification preferred).
- Knowledge of satellite communications principles (e.g. link budgets, fundamental satellite characteristics, etc.).
- Practical experience in a telecommunications-related field, ideally gained in an operational environment
- Basic Unix/Linux operating system familiarity at command-line level (e.g. to run commands, check disk and memory status, etc.)
- Ability to prioritise and manage multiple, overlapping tasks.
- Attention to detail
- Time management and organisational skills
- Proactive, self-starting approach
- Keen to learn new skills and technologies
- Able to work in a small team or unsupervised
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Familiarity with Linux server applications (e.g. Apache, MySQL, Postgres, ActiveMQ)
- Experience in networking (CCNA) (basic troubleshooting and performance monitoring)
- Experience in Linux shell scripting (ability to create simple, ad hoc scripts)
- Familiarity with SQL database configuration, administration and maintenance